Management and Systems Accountant
To support various budget holders, heads of department and project managers with production of financial and management information, including monthly management accounts. Feeding into the company's corporate accounts, both monthly and annual financial statutory accounts. To assist the Head of Finance in other duties and reporting including VAT returns, month end processes as necessary
This role will also support the finance team and other teams in their use of the finance systems
Our client is based in Bristol with a network of offices across the South West. They are currently looking to recruit for a Management and Systems Accountant on a permanent basis
Key Responsibilities of the Management and Systems Accountant:
- To produce monthly management accountants, (and project accounts where used). Having on-going dialog with project managers on how projects running and reporting on variance analysis. Production and posting of monthly journals including accruals, recodes and recharges.
- Work with project managers to produce annual budgets, rolling monthly forecasts and half year re-forecast, reporting to Finance Director key and large variances.
- Preparation and review of financial information for monthly and quarterly project grant claims, ensuring all information meets contractual guidelines. Organisation and preparation of any financial information needed for project audits.
- Preparation of any year end information required for statutory audit relating to assigned projects, including liaison with auditors
- Set up financial budgets and project and management accounts for any new projects as needed.
- To assist in preparation of VAT returns in a timely and accurate manner incorporating adequate supporting documentation of the various Business/Non Business, and partial Exemption calculations
- Undertake ad hoc analysis and special projects as required.
- Ensure all users are competent in the use of the finance and related systems (Access, Dovico and Focal point), inducting new staff and providing refresher training for existing staff when required.
- Ensure system permissions are in line with delegated authorities and approval limits and ensure the segregation of duties.
- Work with IT and other departments to ensure the financial systems are included in any systems upgrades or changes.
- Develop and maintain user guides to assist staff in the use of the finance systems.
- Be aware of GDPR and liaise with the Data & Intelligence Manager to ensure that the data held within the Finance systems complies with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Ensure a robust data strategy plan is in place and actioned on a regular basis.
- Undertake other duties as required from time to time to support Business West's business needs.
Qualifications, Experience and Personal Qualities
- QBE or Part-Qualified Accountant (Study benefits potentially available)
- A strong management accounting knowledge is essential
- Good numeracy skills with a high degree of accuracy and a strong attention to detail
- Strong IT skills in order to carry out data manipulation including MS Excel (pivot tables & lookups)
- A strong knowledge of general finance ledgers
- Knowledge of VAT
- Working knowledge of IT security and GDPR
- Good problem solving and decision making skills
- Good presentation and training skills
- Ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical, financial and non-financial staff at all levels of seniority
- Self-starter attitude
A salary of between £28,000 and £35,000 is on offer for the Management and Systems Accountant role, other benefits include study support towards an accountancy qualification and 25 days holiday