Senior Business Analyst
Role: Senior Business Analyst
Location: Milton Keynes (our headquarters)
Remuneration: GBP42,336 – GBP47,628 + bonus + pension + healthcare + generous annual allowance
Network Rail is at the heart of revitalising Britain's railway. From Crossrail – Europe's largest civil engineering project – to investment in world–class stations and major programmes of electrification, we're involved in some of the most ambitious and diverse ventures that this country has ever seen.
Britain's railway has been growing for 150 years, without significant renewal. And yet it's required to carry more freight and passengers than ever before. We anticipate up to 400 million more passenger journeys by as soon as 2020. Investment and modernisation are absolutely essential.
So we're building the railway of the future. It's a colossal challenge. And we're relishing every moment. We're driven to delight our customers and help the economy thrive. We've already developed a world class reputation for taking care of our track – ours is one of the safest railways in Europe.
Naturally, we're constantly seeking new talent to help us achieve our ambitious goals.
About the role
This role sits in Route Services, a business area that has been created to supply services to the routes in the safest, most cost–efficient and effective way, and enables them to benefit from economies of scale and optimised national resources.
Working in the Route Services IT (RSIT) Team, you will provide our customers with smart technology for the railway of today, designing fit–for–purpose and innovative solutions. Your vital work will help to manage the day–to–day running of our vast IT estate, from safety critical systems maintenance to hardware provision, supporting thousands of employees every day.
As a Senior Business Analyst, you will interface between the routes in an end–to–end IT delivery lifecycle, identifying improvements and implementing efficiency changes. You will work on programmes, large projects and multiple complex work streams.
What will you be doing?
- Use strategic plans to support programmes and project teams, translating the information into a set of deliverables that aligns with the high standards that we set in RSIT. This will include managing dependencies and relevant impacts on the business accordingly.
- Engage with the routes and subject matter experts (SME) to lead full requirements management to develop a clear understanding of the detail requirements behind identified business problems and opportunities.
- Work closely with your colleagues to inform them about decisions regarding potential solutions and alignment related to IT technical architecture, policies and standards.
- Apply your best practice knowledge to support our activity, and the wider business, in the application of the assessment and scoring of all business requirements to identify sound risk–based testing procedures.
- Specify detailed processes, information and business change requirements that will meet the business and non–functional needs and also inform the transition required to realise benefits.
- Contribute to the production of high–level project plans, identifying, assessing and escalating project risks and issues as appropriate.
- Analyse and document current processes, workflows and information exchanges to identify opportunities to improve efficiency, effectiveness and quality of service.
- Create and maintain the library of functional documentation related to key processes and the services they enable.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
Do you meet the following criteria?
You will need to have the following skills, experience and qualifications:
- Proven experience working as a BA in a technological environment.
- Clear understanding of analysis approaches, tools, techniques and commonly applied methodology in this field.
- Strong stakeholder management
- Analytical thinking skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work well in a team
- Business process and data modelling experience
- Sound experience in process frameworks (TOM) and IT frameworks (ITIL)
- Proven knowledge of, and ability to, IT industry best practice knowledge
Ideally you will have some of these, but they are not essential:
- BSC/ISEB Practitioner in Business Analysis
- Knowledge of the railway industry or similar industries
- Business process and data modelling experience
- Risk–based testing experience
How to apply
Sound interesting? To apply, you will need to create an account and log on to our careers site via the button below.
Once you have created an account you will need to search for the role using this job title: Senior Business Analyst or reference code (IRC): IRC.
This role closes on 13th February 2019.
At Network Rail, we welcome applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We are committed to interviewing all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for this job.