Senior Tax Accountant, International Tax
Please list all professional experience and explain any gaps in employment history.
The Washington Post is creating a new role to support our international expansion and to assist with global tax compliance.
A successful candidate is a seasoned tax professional with international tax expertise who is interested in learning about federal and state/local tax compliance. You are comfortable with frequently changing priorities and prioritizing competing deadlines. You are skilled at identifying potential tax issues and developing a resolution plan with minimum supervision. You are known for your ability to perform in–depth research and concisely documenting your findings under a tight deadline. You have proven ability in recommending and guiding the implementation of new and/or improved international compliance processes, as well as developing recommendations and advising internal clients on specific foreign tax inquiries. You collaborate and build effective working relationships with Tax team members and other teams within the organization.
- Contribute to developing tax–efficient international expansion strategies by researching local countries' tax laws, developing alternative approaches, and presenting recommendations to internal stakeholders.
- Ensure compliance with foreign counties' direct and indirect tax laws by determining applicable compliance requirements, gathering necessary information to complete required registrations and filings, coordinating with other business units, and maintaining a foreign tax compliance calendar.
- Maintain foreign tax protection policy by monitoring changing business needs, applicable tax laws, and implementing best practices.
- Manage foreign correspondents' income tax compliance by coordinating information exchange between a third–party provider and internal business units.
- Ensure compliance with changing foreign tax laws by regularly monitoring applicable business tax developments, including OECD and local country guidance, and recommending applicable process changes.
- Collaborate with team members to ensure compliance with US federal and state and local tax laws by determining applicable compliance requirements, gathering necessary information to complete required registrations and filings, coordinating with other business units, and maintaining a US compliance calendar. This may include assisting with federal and state income tax compliance, property tax compliance, estimated state income and nonresident withholding payments calculations, nonresident withholding research, indirect tax research, managing third–party vendors, etc.
- Manage tax department budget.
- Create efficiencies by automating and re–designing processes and workpapers.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree, J.D., LL.M. in Taxation, and/or Master's degree in Taxation (MST) from an accredited college/university.
- 2–5 years of tax experience, including international
- Working knowledge of VAT/GST, transfer pricing, expat taxation/tax equalization and protection policies, and US corporate business income tax compliance concepts.
- Proven ability to research and analyze international tax issues including, but not limited to, tax treaty benefits, permanent establishment threshold, foreign doing business requirements, B2B and B2C outbound issues, foreign nonresident withholding classification and rates, outbound expansion and repatriation strategies.
- Intermediate/advanced Excel skills