Head of Internal Audit, Risk & Compliance
Leading the internal audit and risk programme. Working Senior Management and the Board. Managing the co-source, business continuity plan and overseeing regulatory compliance for a well known animal charity.
Our client is an animal welfare charity who have been in existence for over 150 years. and have c500 staff and 1000 volunteers. They have cared for over three million vulnerable animals and tirelessly campaign tirelessly to improve the lives of pets.
- Develop the internal audit strategy and annual plan as agreed by the Finance, Audit & Risk Committee.
- Manage the delivery of the internal audit function, managing and engaging with external auditors and reporting outcomes and recommendations to the Finance, Audit & Risk Committee and Directors
- Develop and manage the risk management framework and processes including regular updating and review of the risk register and reporting to the Finance, Audit & Risk Committee.
- Lead and manage the Data Protection Manager, advising them in their role; supporting, motivating and developing them to deliver high quality work and achieve their full potential
- Oversee the development and embedding of appropriate and effective data protection and information security policies and processes, ensuring understanding and compliance with data protection legislation including GDPR
- Develop and maintain the business continuity plan, ensuring all staff are familiar with it, and testing and reviewing its effectiveness on a regular basis.
- Work with Directors and Senior Managers to ensure organisational compliance with relevant legislation and regulatory requirements across all functions.
- Ensure that there is good evidence of regulatory and legal compliance, providing regular written and verbal reports to Directors and Trustees of key areas of non-compliance.
- Chartered Internal Auditor (CMIIA/CIA), Chartered Accountant (CCAB/ACA/ACCA/CIMA) or equivalent.
- Significant experience of working with and reporting to Directors and a Finance, Audit & Risk Committee (or equivalent). Strong communication, interpersonal and consultative skills, with significant experience of working constructively and collaboratively with colleagues at all levels across multi-disciplinary teams
- Extensive knowledge and experience of developing audit strategies and managing in-house and external auditors
- Significant experience of undertaking and managing audit procedures, including planning, techniques, tests and sampling methods.
- Significant knowledge and experience of the management of organisational risk.
- Good working knowledge of compliance with data protection legislation including GDPR.
- Proven experience of developing and managing business continuity plans and activity in multi-site organisations
- A flexible approach to managing and prioritising a high workload and multiple complex issues and tasks in a changing environment with tight deadlines
- Experience of successfully motivating, leading and developing high performance teams/individuals, including setting clearly defined objectives and managing performance
- Experience of positively embracing and adapting to change by identifying, leading & managing change in line with organisational objectives
- Excellent written and spoken English, with strong report writing skills and experience
- Able to promote an understanding of, and a commitment to the vision, mission and values of the organisation
Opportunity to work with a well known charity to lead on the new implementation of an internal audit programme.
Ability to influence the organisation through the implementation of a new function and the appointment and management of relevant external suppliers.
Exposure to designing a risk framework and a business continuity plan.
Overseeing compliance with relevant legislation and regulatory requirements (including GDPR).
South West London location.
Animals in the office.