Tax Associate - UK & EMEA
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley's Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
The Finance Division globally reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Glasgow Finance team is over 220 strong and spans a wide range of functions including: Product Control; Market Risk Control; Liquidity Control; Treasury Currency Management; Compensation Control; Tax; Legal Entity Control and Governance; Accounting Advisory Services; General Ledger Governance; Regulatory Reporting and Finance Risk. The variety and scope of our opportunities across all levels allows our employees to enjoy fulfilling and challenging long-term careers. In order to maintain this we require finance professionals of all levels, both qualified and non-qualified, who are committed to working in a challenging and ever evolving industry. For non-qualified candidates we actively support a number of professional qualifications.
The Tax department ensures compliance with income and indirect tax filings, and monitors tax regulations and legislation. In addition, it calculates reports and discloses all of the Firm's tax-related expenses. The department also plans and manages the Firm's domestic and international tax strategies and advises Firm management and business units on business products, location and structure.
Recognizing that significant benefits could be achieved by creating a dedicated Tax function based in Glasgow, a team was established in 2011 to support global direct tax reporting, compliance and technical analysis needs.
A Tax Associate is required with a focus on the support of the EMEA Firm Tax group, which is based in London and Glasgow. The group is responsible for all direct tax returns and audits in the EMEA region together with involvement in internal restructures, Firm acquisitions and Business Unit structures that are on the Firm's Balance Sheet.
The candidate will have support responsibility for a number of UK and overseas companies across the EMEA region. In addition, the role requires ownership of certain cross-business unit processes or initiatives.
Financial reporting and Tax Compliance:
- responsibilities for a number of UK companies and other EMEA entities to include: provisioning, preparation of corporate income tax returns, tax payment calculations and disclosures in financial statements.
- Ownership for the preparation of quarterly effective tax rate reporting numbers, as well as the year-end tax provision process both for US GAAP group reporting and for UK GAAP/ European GAAP individual company reporting
- Preparation of UK tax returns and review of EMEA tax returns (prepared by advisors)
- UK corporate income tax return process, including ixbrl requirements and e-filing using Alphatax
- US Federal Annual Tax reporting (5471)
- Ad hoc tax projects and processes
- Newly qualified ACCA/CIMA/CA accountant or ATT/CTA qualified with experience of working in UK corporation tax within either practice or industry
- Knowledge of UK tax issues and practical UK tax compliance experience is required.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Alphatax corporate tax software is advantageous.
- Experience of working effectively as part of a team
- Applicants should have a record of managing a portfolio of deliverables and meeting tight deadlines
- Must have the ability to think critically and self review
- Should challenge accepted processes, and suggest alternative solutions
- Strong control focus while maintaining a high level of client service
- Self-motivated, with a desire to succeed and develop professionally and personally
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-CL3