International VAT Manager - Tax - Vice President
Jefferies, the global investment banking firm, has served companies and investors for over 50 years. Headquartered in New York with its European head office in London and staff in over 30 global cities, the firm provides clients with capital markets and financial advisory services, institutional brokerage and securities research, and wealth and asset management. Jefferies provides research and execution services in equity, fixed income, foreign exchange, futures and commodities markets, and a full range of investment banking services including underwriting, merger and acquisition, restructuring and recapitalisation.
Jefferies' International Tax department consists of 3 staff based in London. The department is responsible for tax matters for Jefferies entities and branches in Europe and Asia, as well as providing support to the Global Tax team in New York on cross-border projects. The Head of International Tax reports to the International CFO and the Global Head of Tax.
The International Tax department works closely with other departments (e.g. Front Office business units, Finance, Legal, Regulatory Compliance, Treasury, Operations and Human Resources) and external stakeholders including HMRC and external auditors, also working collaboratively with the Global Tax Department.
The International VAT Manager is responsible for VAT advisory and compliance support for the Firm's operations in Europe and Asia. The role includes the analysis of the Firm's VAT processes and calculations to identify and implement efficiencies as well as improving controls around VAT as it relates to tax reporting and compliance and review of significant items. The International VAT manager will be provided support by other members of the department.
The key responsibilities are:
- Provide advice in relation to business transactions (e.g. M&A, corporate restructuring) and new business proposals to ensure that VAT risk in appropriately managed and is in line with the Tax department and Firm's risk profile.
- Oversee VAT audits in Europe and Asia.
- Preparation of UK VAT returns, annual adjustment and capital adjustment calculations.
- Review of VAT returns in Europe and Asia as prepared by local finance teams / local accountants.
- Liaise with local financial controllers over the accounting for VAT in all European and Asian locations.
- Analyse the VAT treatment of investment banking deal mandates.
- Work with advisors where relevant.
- Respond to business and corporate function enquiries relating to irrecoverable VAT.
- Assist in other matters for the department as the need arises.
The following skills and experience are required for this role:
- Qualified ACA/CTA or equivalent.
- A good team player requiring minimal supervision, positive and with strong communication skills.
- Strong technical UK VAT knowledge developed in a major accounting/law firm and/or in-house.
- Relevant FS sector experience preferred but not essential.
- A keen interest to develop knowledge in other areas (e.g. VAT in other jurisdictions).
Primary Location: GB-GB-London