Tax Compliance Senior Manager - UK & EMEA
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley's Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records, and by contributing to firmwide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Tax department reports to the Deputy Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 170 employees worldwide. The Tax department is responsible for global tax compliance, tax accounting, business unit tax advice and tax planning for the Firm.
The EMEA Tax department is broadly divided into three coverage groups: Firm Tax, indirect tax and business unit support. The role involves providing support within the Firm Tax group. The group is responsible for all direct tax returns and audits in the European, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) region together with involvement in internal restructures, Firm acquisitions and business unit structures that are on the Firm's balance sheet. The candidate will have responsibility for a portfolio of companies and processes, both within the UK and across the EMEA region.
The role will include:
- Management responsibilities for a number of UK and EMEA companies. EMEA jurisdictions may include Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Ireland, Russia, Ukraine, Israel, South Africa, Sweden and Poland
- Key control in ensuring tax data is accurately captured, identifying and assessing areas of tax risk
- Identify tax risk and involvement in executing solutions in respect of new or changing business activities
manage tax audits, with controller and advisor liaison in the UK and overseas
- Review quarterly effective tax rate reporting, as well as the year end tax provision process both for US GAAP group reporting and for IFRS/ European GAAP individual company reporting
- Review disclosures in UK and certain overseas financial statements
- Review and submission of corporate income tax returns and review of tax payment calculations. Dealing with issues such as taxation of branches, foreign tax credits, CFCs etc
- US Federal Annual Tax reporting (5471)
- Identify and research UK and EMEA tax technical matters, including the impact of Finance Act changes
- Coaching and developing junior members of the team
This is an important and challenging role within an organisation that is a global leader in its field. The candidate should be a strong team player, be happy to take the initiative and have a high level of personal commitment. They should also have excellent interpersonal and communications skills. Task, time management and organisational skills should be a major part of their skill set.
- Qualified ACCA/CIMA/CA accountant or ATT/CTA qualified with extensive experience of working in UK corporation tax within either practice or industry
- A strong knowledge of UK tax issues and practical UK tax compliance experience is required. Experience of other tax jurisdictions would be advantageous
- Experience of managing and motivating others either as part of a direct or virtual team
- Applicants should have a record of managing a portfolio of deliverables and meeting tight deadlines
- Must have the ability to think critically and self-review
- Should challenge accepted processes, and suggest alternative solutions
- Strong control focus while maintaining a high level of client service
- Self-motivated, with a desire to succeed and develop professionally and personally
- Ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment and be a team player
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Experience of US GAAP and the US tax system is advantageous but not essential
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-AM1