Prime Brokerage Controller, Manager
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Prime Brokerage (PB) Controller team supports the PB business, which houses Morgan Stanley's Delta One Structured Products (DSP) and client International Prime Brokerage (IPB) businesses. The Prime Brokerage business offers a collection of services to hedge funds & asset managers. These include trade execution and settlement, financing and stock lending, custody of assets, reporting (including portfolio analytics and risk management) and setting up of their company (infrastructure and technology). These services generate individual revenue streams from margin interest, stock lending, rehypothecation and transaction fees. The IPB team is responsible for the monitoring, reconciliation and control of Revenues and Balance Sheet. The role has a global reach, dealing with the EMEA business along with the businesses in Hong Kong and Japan. The team also works closely with US Prime Brokerage Controllers making up the wider Global Prime Brokerage Controller team. This is an exciting and innovative space with new technology and STP systems in Finance. The team is therefore able to focus time on value added services to meet internal client needs and develop and design reporting analytics with global counterparts.
The IPB Product Control team is looking for a manager level candidate with a strong academic background to work within the team. Key areas of responsibility are:
• Providing ownership and guardianship of the books and records including daily and monthly Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet sign offs and Regulatory submissions;
• Supporting and working with the Business Unit (BU), Client Services, Legal Entity Controllers, Product Controllers, IT, and Operations across daily functions and various initiatives;
• Preparation of weekly and monthly reporting for the BU and global senior management;
• Reviewing and reporting movements on balances and yields;
• Enhancement of reconciliations and analysis to create efficiencies;
• Reducing the team's risk profile by steering system requirements, implementing additional controls and escalation.
• Product Control experience preferably in the Prime Brokerage business
• Highly numerate
• Detail oriented and well organised
• Strong communication skills
• Analytical mind-set and strong problem solving skills
• Demonstrated ability to deliver technical improvements
• Strong desire and capacity to learn with a tenacious mentality
• Proven track record to manage multiple deliverables and maintain focus under pressure
• Understanding of Balance Sheet and Funding desirable
• Qualified ACA, CIMA or ACCA preferable
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.