Manager - Disclosures Accountant
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley's Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
The Finance Division globally reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Glasgow Finance team is over 220 strong and spans a wide range of functions including: Market Risk Control; Liquidity Control; Treasury Currency Management; Compensation Control; Tax; Legal Entity Control and Governance; Accounting Advisory Services; General Ledger Governance; Regulatory Reporting and Finance Risk. The variety and scope of our opportunities across all levels allows our employees to enjoy fulfilling and challenging long-term careers. In order to maintain this we require finance professionals of all levels, both qualified and non-qualified, who are committed to working in a challenging and ever evolving industry. For non-qualified candidates we actively support a number of professional qualifications.
The GDSC team is responsible for preparing certain financial disclosures of the Firm. These disclosures are produced in accordance with multiple accounting frameworks (US GAAP, IFRS and UK GAAP) as well as preparation of components of Financial Regulatory reporting to the Federal Reserve and the Prudential Regulatory Authority. Key disclosure topics for GDSC include Fair value measurement, Derivatives, Collateral, Off balance sheet commitments and guarantees and Structured Entities.
As a result of the ever changing regulatory and financial reporting environment the team is a key contributor across numerous projects which arise as new requirements are issued. GDSC are also investing in ongoing continual enhancement of our disclosure production processes as well as our reporting control environment.
The GDSC team works closely with a number of stakeholders across the Firm including Global Product Controllers for the Institutional Securities Group business unit as well as Legal Entity Control, Treasury Control, and the International Accounting Policy Group.
The team currently consists of 18 members based in Glasgow as part of a wider Global GDSC team who sit in NY. The role advertised is to backfill an existing role within the GDSC Glasgow team and will have people management responsibilities.
We are currently seeking a Manager to join our GDSC Glasgow team. The role will be involved a number of complex disclosures within a variety of financial reporting. Outside of the production cycle, this role will be involved in projects such as implementing new reporting requirements and process improvements.
The successful candidate's key responsibilities will include:
- Review Firm US GAAP, local IFRS financial reporting and related Regulator disclosures including, but not limited to, those concerning Fair value measurement, Derivatives, Collateral and Structured Entities
- Act as a first point of escalation to liaise with Global Product Controllers where team members encounter challenges when gathering transaction detail for disclosures and/or commentary regarding material movements
- Ensure timely resolution of review questions raised on disclosures prepared by you and your team
- Review and present management information as necessary as part of the sign-off workflow
- Manage both your own and your team members' progress against disclosure production timetables
- Communicate and escalate to line management as appropriate
- Represent the organization with external parties including external auditors
- Input to adhoc financial reporting projects and assist with any testing of procedures updates resulting from IT enhancements or changes to reporting requirements
- Challenge and enhance procedures, ensuring key controls are in place
Successful candidates for the role will:
- Be experienced in managing direct reports
- Hold a CA/ACA/ACCA qualification with experience of financial reporting
- Be able to demonstrate an ability to manage workload effectively, appropriately balancing multiple priorities with a record of - accomplishment in delivering against tight deadlines
- Self-motivated and able to demonstrate initiative and problem-solving abilities
- Have experience of both financial reporting preparation and review
- A confident well-rounded methodical person with strong analytical skills
- Be control focused with a high regard for attention to detail and accuracy
- Be experienced in communicating and collaborating with a wide network of stakeholders
- Have excellent communication skills, both oral and written are essential
- Be inquisitive, able to challenge issues and processes to gain understanding
- Self-motivated with the ability to work consistently and efficiently to achieve goals either as an individual or as part of a team
- Risk aware with a track record for suggesting solutions to issues, process improvements or highlighting gaps and areas of concern
- Proficient with Microsoft Office - Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
-Financial services and/or product knowledge
The following personal attributes are important for this role:
- Solid analytical skills
- Team worker
- Well organized
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-AM1