Regulatory Capital Controller Associate
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley's Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
The Finance Division globally reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Glasgow Finance team is over 220 strong and spans a wide range of functions including: Product Control; Market Risk Control; Liquidity Control; Treasury Currency Management; Compensation Control; Tax; Legal Entity Control and Governance; Accounting Advisory Services; General Ledger Governance; Regulatory Reporting and Finance Risk. The variety and scope of our opportunities across all levels allows our employees to enjoy fulfilling and challenging long-term careers. In order to maintain this we require finance professionals of all levels, both qualified and non-qualified, who are committed to working in a challenging and ever evolving industry. For non-qualified candidates we actively support a number of professional qualifications.
Regulatory Controllers are responsible for calculating, preparing, reviewing and filing the statistical and supervisory returns required by various Regulators across global jurisdictions. The group manages and develops key business processes and systems to enable the Firm to continually meet its regulatory requirements and support key strategic initiatives.
The position supports the calculation, preparation and presentation of regulatory capital numbers covering various products and regulatory requirements. The role will also aid the development and integration of a new global regulatory calculator to support capital and leverage monitoring and reporting across EMEA and US requirements, spanning a wide variety of businesses and stakeholders across the Firm.
Given the focus on Regulatory compliance and evolution, this is a high profile area of the business and it is an excellent opportunity to join an exciting and dynamic team and develop your global regulatory knowledge.
- Preparation, analysis and review of various Capital calculation requirements (Credit and Counterparty Risk, Market Risk, Leverage, Own Funds), supporting reviews and sign-off papers for presentation in Senior Management signoff meetings
- Preparation of key internal and external reports, satisfying internal governance and due diligence requirements and external regulatory submissions
- Investigate drivers of material movements in reported numbers, interrogating systems and data, and liaising with other teams to understand root cause
- Support the development of a new global strategic capital calculator and business-as-usual processes, controls and reporting
- Develop understanding of key Regulatory rules requirements and apply to various products and calculations
- Build effective relationships with Operations, Information Technology, Legal Entity Controllers, Corporate Treasury, Risk, and Regulatory Colleagues
- Identify, document and escalate and co-ordinate resolution of issues
- Challenge processes and procedures in order to enhance controls and streamline efficiencies. Seek ways to improve hand-offs and integration with other teams
- The successful candidate should be highly numerate with a close attention to detail, and demonstrate a strong commitment to developing your own skills
- Ability to demonstrate proven skills in investigating complex data issues to extract key themes and discover root causes
- Candidates for the role should hold an Accounting /Finance/Mathematical degree or equivalent, and have an interest in the Regulatory environment
- Have the flexibility required to work in a dynamic environment under tight deadlines
- Relevant work experience in the financial services industry desirable (regulatory reporting, financial and product control, liquidity, treasury)
- Candidates should possess excellent Microsoft Excel skills and be proficient in data mining and summarising and presenting themes and results in a meaningful format
- Knowledge of financial products which are used in the financial services industry would be preferred
- Experience presenting and summarising key messages in email correspondence, in meetings and/or conference call environments, to diverse group of colleagues
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-AM1