Senior Investment Manager - Venture Capital
My client is a well-established and rapidly growing venture capital business that is well connected and highly regarded in the UK market. They currently have around £100 million under management and the portfolio comprises investments in more than 80 companies, all made alongside business angles/private investors. An experienced individual is required to join this small team with plans to grow over the next few years. This role is diverse and gives exposure to all aspects of private equity from manging a portfolio of existing investments, making new investments and managing co investments. The fund is a UK focussed generalist investor, with a portfolio weighted toward high growth technology companies.
Reporting to the Managing Partner and working as part of a small team responsible for making venture capital investments at late seed to series-A across a range of sectors you will be responsible for:
- Critically appraising investment proposals, including in-depth analysis of all aspects of business plans, including financial and investment analysis, due diligence, financial modelling and negotiation of legal agreements;
- Supporting co-investors developing proposals for new investments through the investment processes, e.g. preparing documents and convening investment committee meetings;
- Supporting follow-on investments and exit decisions through the investment processes, e.g. preparing documents and convening investment committee meetings;
- Working with specialist legal advisors to scrutinise investment and ancillary legal documentation to ensure consistency with the commercial terms agreed;
- Managing of investments including, as required, the attendance of meetings with co-investors and companies where appropriate;
- Supporting the reporting to the Board and its investors, including fund administration as well as the preparation of reports and analysis of the portfolio of investments;
- Working with co-investors to secure exits for portfolio companies;
- Dealing with matters arising with investments, analysing issues, developing action plans, communicating with interested parties and resolving disputes; and
- Assisting in the marketing and promotion of the fund, e.g. by attending events and producing publicity materials.
Knowledge and Experience
- You will have a proven track record of working within fund management, venture capital, private equity or transactional services and will have managed transactions from beginning to end;
- Be able to demonstrate a good understanding of small business operations, strategy and finances;
- Have a detailed understanding of science and technology led businesses and their success drivers;
- Bring strong communication and relationship building skills and have the ability to work well as part of a small focussed team; and
- Be able to demonstrate exceptional communication skills and the ability to interact with senior level stakeholders including co investors and company management.
- A professional accounting qualification, MBA or CFA qualification is desirable but not essential.
- An undergraduate and/or postgraduate degree in science (particularly life-sciences), technology or engineering would be a significant advantage.
- Experience of working within smaller companies and/or in operational (i.e. non-finance) roles would also be of benefit.
If you are interested in this role, please send a covering letter and current CV. Closing Deadline Friday 5th October 2018. For a confidential discussion about the role or more information please do not hesitate to contact Caroline Naylor 0114 2418030.