R&D Technical Advisor (Grants)
An exciting opportunity to work with the dynamic, growing EY Innovation Incentives team, based in one of our national offices. The EY Innovation Incentives team works primarily to secure incentives for companies who are actively undertaking or planning to undertake R&D. The service offer includes R&D tax credits, Patent Box, Government business and innovation grants, and Innovation loans.
The team work with a mix of clients, from FTSE100 through to small and mid-size enterprises. Owing to market demand, we are looking to grow our existing business and innovation grants team. The role offers you the chance to integrate with a small, dynamic team where you will be supported and encouraged to shape your own niche.
You will work closely with senior level staff of our clients, typically including the finance, commercial and technical teams. You will play an active role in understanding the future plans for innovation and R&D, and work with the client to help roadmap these plans against the future funding opportunities which are available.
A key part of your role will be assisting with the grant applications. This includes participating in structured workshops to obtain the required details and translating this into a project proposal tailored to the specific funding body.
As well as working directly on existing projects, you will also be offered the chance to support business development opportunities and become involved in other specialist areas within the Innovation Incentives team.
Your key responsibilities
Working as an effective member of a project team, exhibiting strong communication skills and ability to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team
Interaction with clients' senior technical and engineering staff in order to develop a comprehensive understanding of their project portfolio and identify suitable grants
- Writing compelling grant funding applications which demonstrate the innovative aspects of client projects, and demonstrate a strong underlining business case
- Application of advanced problem solving skills and critical thinking to assist with project execution and delivery to ensure grant applications are submitted to often tight deadlines
- Building and maintaining relationships with clients to provide high levels of client service
- Responsible for high-quality delivery of advice and solutions to major clients, upholding of EY's reputation in the market
- Maintaining existing awareness of your own technical sector, while keeping abreast of wider technology sectors to build on the core capabilities of the team
Skills and Attributes for success
- Ability to translate complex technical projects into compelling grant applications, including contributions to the commercial and financial sections of the application.
- Ability to establish your role with the client as a trusted advisor, and to obtain buy in from often disparate departments of the client to gather the information required for the grant.
- Experience managing projects in industry to achieve a good commercial outcome.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team but also autonomously when required.
- Focus on quality and ability to deliver to a high standard when working under time pressure and with limited information.
- Strong analytical skills and record of problem solving.
To qualify for the role you must have:
- We are looking for someone with Innovate UK experience
A degree in a technical subject, such as science or engineering (postgraduate degree such as Masters or PhD is a plus), combined with broad understanding of other engineering and scientific disciplines.
- At least one year of technical work experience, either in industry or Academia.
- Experience in dealing with technical challenges faced by industry professionals, such as engineering design, the development or improvement of manufacturing processes, development of new products and improvement to existing products.
- Relevant commercial exposure in terms of understanding the marketability of new products and processesAbility to swiftly adapt to and learn about different industry sectors.
- Strong attention to detail and focus on quality.
- A collaborative working style with excellent communication and presentational skills (both oral and written).
- Self-motivated, pro-active, innovative and enthusiastic.
Ideally you'll also have
- Experience of interacting with grant funding bodies and understanding of their priorities and policies.
- Demonstrable experience of contributing to or taking the lead on developing grant proposals.
- Demonstrable experience with coordinating innovation projects, e.g. forming and maintaining an effective consortium for collaborative R&D projects.
- Awareness of the key economic drivers which must be met when grant applications are submitted.
- Understanding of typical financial and technological risks associated with innovation trajectories and how to manage them.
- Awareness of project and company finances and project funding.
- Experience in writing business plans.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you'll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions.
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance