Head of Accounting & Tax - established and fast-growing international FinTech company
This is an exciting role within an international, large, very fast-growing and dynamic FinTech company. The chosen candidate being instrumental in the design and implementation of these improvements to help the company becoming the leader in its sector.
The core activities will cover the day-to-day statutory and management accounting. The role will have a strong focus on accounting and book-keeping. The Head of Finance & Tax will also be responsible for leading projects on tax matters, as well as identifying opportunities to optimise the tax position.
It is expected that the candidate will effectively “grow into the role” with the opportunity to become involved with any future major capital events.
The key responsibilities for the Head of Finance & Tax will be:
- Generate balance sheets and P&L reports
- Maintain subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, and posting transactions
- Balance subsidiary accounts by reconciling entries
- Maintain general ledger by transferring subsidiary account summaries
- Improve system and automation of book-keeping and recording
- Ensure a rigorous month end reporting process including results analysis and commentary
- Seek practices to reduce financial risk of the company
- Monitor cash flow, accounts, payroll and other financial transactions
- Prepare financial reports by collecting, analysing, and summarising account information and trends
- Prepare accounts in accordance with IFRS, UK GAAP, Belgium GAAP, USA GAAP etc.
- Provide technical financial advice and support the Board/business
- Support the CFO in developing financial strategy and technical accounting matters
- Develop strong relationship with auditors
Running and Building a Team and Systems Across Multiple Jurisdictions
- Build and maintain relationships with a Finance team of c.10 individuals across multiple jurisdictions
- Handle the outsourcing process of payroll, payments processing etc. and propose alternatives if the incumbent process can be improved
- Grow individuals and define the team structure as the company goes global
- Maintenance and use of NetSuite
- Responsible for audit and tax filing
- Manage and deliver the Group's tax reporting obligations and ensure accurate and timely submission of VAT, Corporation Tax and other returns
- Optimise corporate tax through TP and patent box
- Optimise VAT spend
- Review and refine TP model as the business evolves
- Ensure that all of the company's financial practices are in line with statutory regulations and legislation and file tax and accounts across multiple jurisdictions
- Maintain effective relationships with service providers and contractors
Reporting Lines and Resources
The Head of Accounting & Tax will report directly to the CFO. They will be responsible for ca. 10 direct reports, in a finance team of 17. The role will require a close working relationship and day to day contact with the company's accounts team, based overseas, as well as the larger trade support team.
The successful candidate will have
- Qualified as an accountant, preferably with experience in a Big 4 accountancy firm
- At least 8 years of finance experience and the ability to manage a Finance/Tax function
- Proven ability in preparing statutory accounts under IFRS, UK GAAP, Belgium GAAP, USA GAAP or any other international accountancy standards, ideally with understanding of the valuation of financial instruments
- Successful track record in managing and motivating a team across multiple jurisdictions while maintaining the momentum of change
- Experience of implementing a change management programme across the business to contribute to the delivery of the company's long-term financial plan
- An effective communicatory with the ability to articulate complexity to the Executive and a multi-site finance team
- Strong aptitude to leverage technology to deliver operational effectiveness; familiarity with NetSuite is advantageous