Tax & Banking Manager
- Full time
Candidates sought for a Tax & Banking Manager role, in North Bristol.
Our client is a public sector organisation.
You will have direct supervisory responsibility for one team member, and will be responsible for provising tax advice to colleagues around the business, particularly with regard to VAT.
The post holder will deliver tax compliance services, including:
- Provision of first line advice and guidance on all aspects of tax affecting the business
- Development and delivery of in–house VAT guidance and training
- Monitoring HMRC publications and specialist tax resources, and advising appropriately on changes and potential impacts, including identifying proportionate actions required
- HMRC compliance
- Completion of tax returns, including VAT and Construction Industry Scheme returns
- Monitor and quality control VAT recording across the business
- Provide information to HMRC on income tax and VAT issues as requested, coordinating and responding to all HMRC compliance queries
The post holder will manage the Banking Officer to provide all banking services, including:
- Banking administration, including setting up payment service providers and service user numbers as necessary
- Bank reconciliation and cashbook transaction recording
- Cash forecasting
The post holder will be expected to provide technical expertise through a period of significant change for the organisation including participation in the Finance Transition Project, in particular working with the current tax and banking teams in Edinburgh to develop new processes and procedures regarding tax and banking.
The post holder will hold or be in the process of acquiring a recognised tax and/or accountancy qualification, and will be committed to continuing professional development. Full support for training /continuing professional development is provided.
Second line advice on complex or high value tax issues will be sought from external tax advisers.
The post holder will deliver high quality, modern, customer focussed services. As a manager within the Finance team, the post holder will model leadership behaviours, and participate actively in setting the future direction of the Finance function.
The successful candidate is not necessarily required to come from a tax background, as external support will be provided and training can be given.
You will be able to demonstrate knowledge, understanding and practical experience of:
- managing staff
- producing written guidance and reports
- supporting non–specialists to understand financial issues
- ensuring compliance with tax legislation
- liaison with HMRC and audit
It is desirable that the successful candidate can demonstrate knowledge, understanding or practical experience of:
- dealing with personal tax issues
- VAT legislation and regulations as they apply to government departments, including contracted out services regulations
- experience with partial exemption methods
- banking and cash management
You must be a competent IT user with experience of MS Office
You will ideally have a significant amount of banking experience
In return, our client can offer a salary of between GBP25,000 & GBP35,000, dependent on your level of salary and experience.