Risk Manager (Business Partner)
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust, a Fortune 500 company, is a globally recognized, award-winning financial institution that has been in continuous operation since 1889.
Northern Trust is proud to provide innovative financial services and guidance to the world’s most successful individuals, families, and institutions by remaining true to our enduring principles of service, expertise, and integrity. With more than 130 years of financial experience and over 22,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Reporting into the Head of Non-Financial Risk, you will join a team of experienced risk managers, working collaboratively with the business and second lines both in Australia and offshore to deliver operational risk programs/activities and provide effective second-line risk oversight over Northern Trust’s Australia Branch operations.
You will be responsible for supporting the operational risk programs across Northern Trust’s Australia Branch including developing and implementing line 2 assurance programs for the Australian business. Using a proactive, collaborative, and consultative approach, you will work closely with Northern Trust partners across the globe to offer technical advice, interpretation, objective challenge, and training on corporate operational policies, and business unit procedures.
Your role will include providing Risk support to key projects and initiatives including:
- APRA CPS 230 Operational Risk Management implementation and then support in the business-as-usual environment following implementation
- Legal Entity Risk Reporting
- Operational Resilience Program activities across business resiliency and recovery
- Readiness for key regulatory and client visits
- Design and build of a risk monitoring and assessment program in concert with corporate programs
- Providing SME advice across the Australian business on the operation of the Three Lines of Defence and on developing appropriate risk profile
What you will do:
- Manage and execute operational risk programs across incident management, business continuity, privacy, and fraud to support first lines including review and uplift the operational risk frameworks, policies, and procedures
- Develop, implement, and continuously improve a risk monitoring and control assessment program in concert with the corporate programs to identify and drive process improvements
- Provide SME advice and effective second-line review and challenge across the Australian business on operational risk mitigation strategies and controls
- Contribute to the preparation and presentation of risk reporting to relevant governance/business forums
- Enhance risk reporting with focus on value add to drive appropriate risk management practices
- Manage the delivery of non-financial risk initiatives as and when required
- Assist in internal and external reviews including audits, regulatory requests, and reviews
- Assists in advising business partners, including senior management, on risk assessments and controls testing matters including keeping them informed of developments or changes that may affect their area
- Oversight over business continuity management
- Provide risk management support on request for proposals, client due diligence/presentations, compliance statements, and ad-hoc client queries
- Advocates for good risk management, delivering training and support for the business
- Qualification in Business, Commerce, Law, Finance or a related field
- 5-7 or more years experience in risk management within Australia’s financial services / APRA-regulated entities
- Strong understanding of Australia’s financial services regulatory landscape including working knowledge of APRA requirements and of key banking regulators
- Strong working knowledge and experience in controls testing in a medium to large organisation within a complex environment
- Exposure to risk, compliance, and governance and a clear appreciation of internal controls/governance and oversight across all 3 lines of defense
- Practical experience in implementing operational risk management framework, system, and tools
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to analyse business processes and risks and identify control/process improvements
- Ability to build relationships and communicate with influence at the executive and senior level
- Report writing and presentation to a wide range of stakeholders including an executive or committee-level audience
Good to have skills (additional) :
- Exposure to first-line/second-line/operational roles in Asset Servicing is highly regarded
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, greater achievements await. You will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture in an organization where financial strength and stability is an asset that emboldens us to explore new ideas.
Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company committed to assisting the communities we serve! Join a workplace with a greater purpose.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today.
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email our HR Service Center at MyHRHelp@ntrs.com.
We hope you’re excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us. We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.