Firm Tax Senior Associate
DescriptionEstablished in the region for 40 years, PwC has around 8,000 people in 12 countries across the region: Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, the Palestinian territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. Our regional team operates across the Middle East bringing international experience delivered within the context of the region and its culture. We can bring the collective knowledge and experience of more than 328,000 people across the entire global PwC network in advisory, assurance and tax to help you find the value you are looking for.
Job Description & Summary
The ME Firm Tax team is the in-house tax function for the whole of the PwC Middle East Group and is a part of the Finance function.
The team supports on all levels of the firm’s tax activity and is organized into three (3) subfunctions: Compliance & Audit; Governance & Risk; and Tax Advisory.
This role is intended to support the Compliance & Audit subfunction.
The Egypt and Middle East Firm Tax Compliance & Audit Senior Associate’s role is for a tax accountant who is responsible for assisting in handling the tax activities for the PwC Egypt entities as well as other ME Group entities, under the supervision of the Egypt & Middle East - Firm Tax Manager, as well as the ME Firm Tax Compliance & Audit Lead.
The Senior Associate will also work together with the wider Firm Tax team as well as the finance teams across the ME region.
In addition, this role will be communicating and coordinating directly with the Egypt Tax Line of Service (LoS) team members, building cross-functional relationships as needed.
The main focus of the tax accountant is to support the Compliance & Audit subfunction in all tax compliance and audit related matters for Egypt specifically and the Middle East region generally.
Specifically, this will require data collection, validation and preparation of various tax compliance and reporting requirements across the region.
Activities and responsibility will include the preparation of corporate income tax (CIT), withholding tax (WHT) and value added tax (VAT) returns; preparation of responses to tax authority audits and inquiries; and responding to tax related questions posed by other internal firm services (IFS) functions.
Primary duties and responsibilities
Compliance & Audits
- Assist in preparation of CIT, WHT and VAT returns for the PwC Egypt entities as well as other ME Group entities for review by the Egypt & Middle East Firm Tax Manager, ensuring submission deadlines are adhered to.
- Assist with delivering internal analysis/reports to Firm Tax Compliance & Audit (subfunction) Lead required for tax audits as well as for the preparation of the tax returns.
- Assist in preparation of reconciliations and validation of tax accounts/ accounting entries as required (including payroll taxes, customs and excise duties, stamp duty, etc).
- Works with the wider Firm Tax team and local Tax LoS Specialists to understand tax laws and regulations in various jurisdictions within the Middle East.
- Assist with special analysis as required.
- Assist with consolidation/ tax reporting tasks.
- Refine tax policy and procedure documentation and ensure proper implementation and adherence across the ME Group.
- Develop strong working relationships and interface with all stakeholders across the ME Group.
Learning & Growth
- Forms part of both the local finance community, regional tax community, and maintains appropriate relationships across the tax spectrum.
- Has the capabilities to deliver responsibilities efficiently and on a timely basis.
- Captures templates and standards into a repository to build the team's own knowledge management database.
- Ensures adherence to policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the continuing professional development of self.
- Support internal knowledge management best practices, creating communities of practice both within your own team and across the wider function.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Law or a related field required.
- Certified Tax Accountant, Certified Practicing Accountant or similar would-be an advantage.
- Bi-lingual English/Arabic.
- Fluency in written and spoken English & Arabic.
- 3+ years of tax experience with corporate tax, withholding tax, VAT and payroll is required.
- An understanding of other taxes would be an advantage.
- Experience in the Professional Services industry in a top tier (Big 4) firm would be an advantage.
Additional Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to interpret tax legislation, rules and regulations
- High level of analytical and quantitative ability required to perform complex financial and transactional tax and accounting functions and ad hoc reporting functions, including proficiency with computer based modelling and analytic techniques.
- Understanding of general/international accounting standards and practices.
- Ability to adhere to procedures, controls and policies for functional areas of responsibility.
- Organization, thoroughness, eye for detail, time management skills and proactivity required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required to effectively work with professional resources in accounting areas.
- Ethical conduct.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.