We are a leading chemical company, with the best teams developing intelligent solutions for our customers, and for a sustainable future.
We connect and develop people with diverse talents all over the world. For you, this means a variety of ways to progress.
Not only your performance but also your personality matter to us, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, orientation, and background. At BASF, careers develop from opportunities.
BASF has been operating in Malaysia for more than 30 years, through a number of wholly-owned companies and joint ventures in the country.BASF (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd was incorporated in 1989, and operates main office in Bandar Utama and a manufacturing plant in Pasir Gudang in Johor, as well as an operational site in Kulim, Kedah.BASF Asia-Pacific Service Centre Sdn Bhd began its operation in 2005. Located in Kuala Lumpur, the Shared Services Center provides functional services in the areas of finance, controlling, information services, human resources, real estate and facilities management, communications, environment, health & safety, procurement and import-export order management and information services to BASF Group companies in 20 markets across Asia Pacific.BASF Services (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd, established in 1997, provides infrastructure and utilities support services to BASF sites in Malaysia.BASF holds 60% of its joint venture BASF PETRONAS Chemicals Sdn Bhd, which operates a state-of-the-art Verbund production site in the Gebeng Industrial Zone, Pahang, and 50% of Toray BASF PBT Resin Sdn Bhd.BASF posted sales to customers in Malaysia of approximately €403 million in 2022 and had 2,415 employees as of the end of the year. Further information is available on www.basf.com/my.
Objectives of the Position
This position plays the role of subject matter expert and process owner, key contact point for internal and external stakeholders for tax planning/ advisory, compliance and reporting for BASF legal entities located in Malaysia and Singapore.
The position is to also ensure effective and efficient tax operations and compliance leveraging on ERP system and evolving advance technology. Support project implementation by contributing tax advisory or process/ system design.
Tax Compliance and Reporting
- Timely submission of reports to relevant internal stakeholders and external authorities.
- Ensure the procedures and processes fully meet the relevant requirements.
- Work with the business to ensure adequate compliance and effective controls
1. Corporate tax reporting & filing
- Manages the existing tax incentives reporting and compliance requirements
- Ensure useful life for different asset classes are maintained according to Tax Laws, public rulings, guidelines etc
2. Indirect Taxes
- Ensure the criteria and reporting requirements for Indirect Taxes are met;
3. Withholding tax and Double Taxation Agreement (“DTA”)
- Ensure compliance especially for intercompany services and billings;
- Filing and settlement of withholding tax with tax authority
4. Inter-Company Transfer Pricing (“ICTP”)
- Preserve and improve the current local transfer pricing documentation in accordance with the BEPS standards and local tax legislation
- Ensure proper and sufficient ICTP supporting documentation
- Support RBUs and local business groups in determining the correct inter-company transfer price
- Advise on transfer pricing issues with the support from Global ICTP Office
- Support Global ICTP office on Country-by-Country Reporting (“CBCR”) reporting
5. Internal tax reporting & Statutory disclosure
- Review and ensure accuracy and timely submission of monthly/ quarterly tax provisions and deferred tax recognition
- Review and ensure accuracy of tax disclosure in the statutory reports
Efficient Finance processes and system
- Establish and maintain effective systems and controls that meet Financial & Tax reporting compliance requirements.
- Challenge status quo, champions process improvement and simplification, leads in benchmarking operational efficiency.
- Pro-actively engage stake holders and provides insight on financial related topics including advice on local tax regulations & incentives that may impact the companies' operations and profitability;
- As business partner, support commercial decisions by providing tax advice and information as well as supporting the applications for commercial & tax related incentives;
- Add value by acquiring broad knowledge of BASF businesses in performing the business partner role.
- Monitoring development in tax legislations and provide timely update to management and business in response to business risk associated to tax legislation changes.
- Support and participate in the implementation of functional and operational projects/ assignments, business integration, etc as and when required;
- Proactively make suggestion to improve process efficiency for tax compliance and risk management related processes (i.e. digitalization/ automation of tax compliance and risk management processes etc).
- Leads external audits and negotiations with government jurisdictions to ensure compliance and drive low incidents of finding.
- To lead and support in tax projects due to the changes in business operations and tax laws
- To review and comment contracts – ensure that tax related clause are inputted precisely and tax risk is managed or minimized
- Stabilisation and development of MYSG tax platforms operations
- Key contact/ counterpart for Global Tax Department, coordinate & support tax queries/ audits requests from other BASF companies.
Degree in Accounting or equivalent recognize professional accounting qualification.
Minimum 6 to 8 years of relevant corporate tax experience with a big 4/ local accountancy firm, medium or large corporations, preferably in a manufacturing environment
Technical & Professional Knowledge:
- Proficient in Malaysia's corporate tax, Indirect Taxes, Transfer Pricing knowledge and accounting principles/ Financial Reporting Standards
- Good knowledge of SAP and Microsoft applications (i.e. Excel, Word & Powerpont)
- Other Qualifications and Requirement (Soft Skills required)
- Dynamic and able to work independently
- Effective interpersonal and communication skill
- Professional & passionate