Internal Audit Manager
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions entrepreneurial organisations need to navigate today’s changing world.
We work with the companies that are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high‑growth businesses that fuel the economy - and directly advise the owners and management teams that lead them.
We’ll broaden your horizons
The Quality and Risk Management team oversee a number of our essential teams; Advisory & Compliance, our Chief Information Security Office (CISO) and our Legal team. Together, they are responsible for the training, policies and guidance, which help to ensure we operate effectively within a heavily-regulated profession. Friendly and supportive, you’ll have lots of opportunities to learn and collaborate as part of this team. You’ll provide leadership, guidance and tools to help our partners and staff to manage quality and risk to ensure we continue to provide our clients with high quality accountancy and business services. It’s a full-on role, with lots of responsibility, making significant decisions on a daily basis. Sound like your kind of challenge?
We’ll help you succeed
Leading organisations trust us because of the quality of our advice. That quality grows from a thorough understanding of their business, and that understanding comes from working closely with them and building long-lasting relationships.
You’ll be someone who is both comfortable working proactively and managing your own tasks, as well as confident collaborating with others and communicating regularly with senior managers, directors, and BDO’s partners to help businesses effectively. You’ll be encouraged to identify and draw attention to opportunities for enhancing our delivery and providing additional services to organisations we work with.
An Internal Audit Manager will manage multiple risk management and internal audit engagements of high complexity and variety in line with BDO’s defined methodologies. You will also support the Head of Internal Audit with work, build excellent stakeholder relationships, and assist with the function's methodology, systems and strategy. The primary focus of this role will be management of a portfolio of engagements across different business areas.
- Deliver risk management, corporate governance and internal audit assignments which may involve benchmarking systems and processes, and making recommendations for improvement.
- Co-determine with the HoIA the internal audit strategy, methodology and risk assessments that will enable profit and the delivery of a value proposition.
- Identify risks on engagements to the firm
- Review assignment files and reports, including assessment of the appropriateness of the recommendation.
- Responsible for the planning and scheduling of individual assignments, undertake staff scheduling, ensuring that you have the ‘best’ team for the engagement.
- Attend Audit Committee meetings as appropriate.
- Prioritise work so that resources are devoted to areas of highest risk in line with the audit needs assessment.
- Manage activities and stakeholder relationships on a day to day basis; ensuring excellent service is delivered at all times.
- Manage individuals to ensure that work is completed on time and to the highest quality.
- Exhibit creativity and innovation in recommending improvements to audit practices, processes and client service.
- Discuss findings with stakeholders and obtain their buy-in to a proposed way forward.
- Remain up to date with latest thinking in areas of expertise.
- Recruit, retain, develop and motivate other internal audit staff. This includes participating in recruitment, performance management, ensuring job appraisal documentation is completed within deadlines, and ensuring appropriate objectives and development plans are in place for counselees.
- ACA, ACCA, CIA or CMIIA qualified and relevant experience of risk management, internal audit and systems/controls testing.
- Educated up to degree level.
- Previous experience of managing people.
- Commercial sector experience appropriate to BDO.
- Awareness of compliance, legislative and market issues relevant to client businesses.
- IT assurance experience.
- Third party attestation services experience (for example SOx Controls, ISAE3402 etc.)
- Project management experience.
- Flexibility to travel on a regular basis locally with potential for wider travel if required.
You’ll be able to be yourself; we’ll recognise and value you for who you are and celebrate and reward your contributions to the business. We’re committed to agile working, and we offer every colleague the opportunity to work in ways that suit you, your teams, and the task at hand.
At BDO, we’ll help you achieve your personal goals and career ambitions, and we have programmes, resources, and frameworks that provide clarity and structure around career development.
We’re in it together
Mutual support and respect is one of BDO’s core values and we’re proud of our distinctive, people-centred culture. From informal success conversations to formal mentoring and coaching, we’ll support you at every stage in your career, whatever your personal and professional needs.
Our agile working framework helps us stay connected, bringing teams together where and when it counts so they can share ideas and help one another. At BDO, you’ll always have access to the people and resources you need to do your best work.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.