Fraud Prevention Analyst
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust, a Fortune 500 company, is a globally recognized, award-winning financial institution that has been in continuous operation since 1889.
Northern Trust is proud to provide innovative financial services and guidance to the world’s most successful individuals, families, and institutions by remaining true to our enduring principles of service, expertise, and integrity. With more than 130 years of financial experience and over 22,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
The Fraud Prevention Analyst role will be responsible for utilizing analytical skills and innovative strategies to detect, prevent, and report fraudulent activities at Northern Trust. This role will operate within a fast paced and dynamic global fraud team that is instrumental in protecting our clients against financial fraud.
Daily activities include, but are not limited to:
- Utilize advanced data analysis techniques to detect and prevent fraud within client facing applications. Review comprehensive daily reports to identify anomalous patterns, transactions, or behaviors that may indicate unauthorized activity or fraud.
- Review and verify login anomalies and suspicious transactions to identify or prevent policy violations, identity theft, and financial crimes by means of web-based and internal system research, coordinated efforts through cross-functional partnerships, client and internal partner notifications and interviews.
- Analyze datasets from various sources and systems to identify and prevent potentially fraudulent activity. Research complex account movements that may involve multiple transaction channels, accounts, or client relationships.
- Review and authenticate alerts generated by the Internal Fraud Detection systems. Validate transactions and activities using data from multiple sources. Escalate cases as needed to managers, HR and Fraud Investigations.
- Leverage advanced skills and subject matter expertise to work independently, within an established fraud research and mitigation framework, to detect and respond to identity theft, scams and fraud risks appropriately and effectively.
- Conduct thorough and well documented analysis, in accordance with policy and procedures. Consult with cross-functional departments to validate or invalidate suspicious transactions, and take appropriate proactive action to protect clients and the bank from additional fraud exposure.
- Maintain the integrity of highly sensitive data, analysis, and confidentiality of systems, policies and case details, and ensure that all fraud prevention efforts are executed in compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Communicate findings, trends, and potential risks to the fraud team and management, to aid in strengthening the bank’s preventative posture and enhancing the fraud program.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to work with complex data.
- Knowledge of Actimize Xceed / Guardian Analytics preferred.
- Current and historical knowledge of malware variants and common attack vectors.
- Experience in phone interviewing for the identification of client impersonators and scams.
- Understanding of common industry client Authentication processes, tools and Internet Security.
- Ability to identify potential fraudulent or suspicious accounts and activities and take appropriate action to prevent loss. Display good judgement in a fast-paced and results-driven environment.
- General understanding of commercial web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, and Safari.
- General understanding of computer networking, including but not limited to; local area networks (LAN), wide area networks (WAN), internet service provision (ISP), internet protocol (IP), local machine and group security policies, firewalls, and web proxy/content filtering.
- General understanding of end-user operating systems, including Windows and Apple OS.
- General understanding of traditional money movement transactions, systems and fintech.
- Experience with advanced data analysis tools (i.e. power BI, advanced Excel, link analysis, R / Python, OSINT, etc.)
- A College or University degree and/or at least 5 years of relevant work experience is preferred. Related Industry qualification (e.g., ACAMS, CFE) or studying towards, is preferred.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, greater achievements await. You will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture in an organization where financial strength and stability is an asset that emboldens us to explore new ideas.
Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company committed to assisting the communities we serve! Join a workplace with a greater purpose.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and sustainable companies! Build your career with us.
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email our HR Service Center at MyHRHelp@ntrs.com.
We hope you’re excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us. We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.