Crunch is a multi-award winning Software as a Service (SaaS) company born in the heart of Brighton with a brilliant team of 130, over 17,500 clients and 50,000 Community members. Together, we single-handedly pioneered a complete online accounting solution to empower self-employed contractors, freelancers and micro-businesses in the UK, helping them to grow their business and create the lives they want as part of a powerful community.
Now we no longer have a large office base as we embrace remote-first ways of working, the role offers you the opportunity to work remotely all the time if you’re UK based, or a mixture of office and remote working if you would prefer this as we have some temporary office space in the Brighton & Hove area.
We have a rare opportunity for an external Senior Accountant to join our Accountancy team, as in recent years, most of these roles have been filled internally as part of our commitment to ongoing professional development and progression in the team.
About the role:
Do you have demonstrable hands-on experience in a volume, practice accountancy environment, and love advising clients and resolving their queries? Do you have an interest and experience in inspiring and leading teams, developing them and helping them achieve excellent results?
The role works closely with the Accountancy Management team to ensure accurate and seamless accountancy and tax services are provided to our clients, including advice and efficient resolution of their queries in accordance with Service Level Agreements (SLA’s).
The successful candidate will manage accountants in a core, specialist or outsourced services team towards the effective delivery of business goals, meeting statutory principles, professional guidelines and quality standards. There may be movement of Senior Accountants between teams periodically depending on business needs.
Our Senior Accountants work effectively across all areas of the business and in partnership with other departments, in particular ‘sister’ teams in Client Services to encourage collaborative ways of working. This means building effective relationships across all Crunch departments to manage our day to day operations and to contribute to specific business and department projects.
We’d especially love to hear from candidates who have recently completed a professional certified/chartered qualification such as ACCA or equivalent UK-recognised chartered accountancy or tax qualification, and have some demonstrable work experience at Senior Accountant level, managing teams in a practice and client facing environment.
Please note that our management accountant and financial accountant roles are in a separate team with no vacancies at present.
- This role is only open to applicants with the right to live and work in the UK.
- Please note that we’re unable to offer sponsorship to overseas candidates.
- The usual working hours are Monday - Friday, 09:00 - 17:30.
- You need to be able to work from home in a comfortable, private and distraction free environment, with a solid internet connection (a minimum of 10-12 Mbps upload speed).
- We'll provide you with all the IT equipment you need to get set up before you start with us - so there's no need to supply your own.
- You would agree to visit our offices in the Brighton & Hove area on your first day to collect your IT equipment and attend a business induction session.
- Support the Accountancy Management Team to organise and manage team members efficiently and effectively, being accountable for performance and outcomes for services, including quality of work and compliance with professional standards.
- Oversee the delivery and achievement of Service Level Agreement (SLA) targets, taking corrective action as necessary with inhouse teams and partners for services such as year end accounts, self assessments, references and client queries (cases).
- Set objectives and targets for direct reports in your team, measuring progress and embrace the optimisation of the Hibob system for setting and tracking company and department goals, conducting reviews and 121’s.
- Ensure we continue to meet the required standards as a platinum status ACCA Approved Employer.
- Review more complex Year End Accounts and Self Assessment Returns as required.
- Proactively deal with escalated client complaints, working with all involved to manage these to resolution.
- Provide professional insight and advice to senior management as the business diversifies our client base and product offering.
- Continually evaluate and give feedback on refinement of Crunch pricing for services.
- Support other departments across the business to deliver project based work providing an accounting perspective, notably Application Support, Transformation & Product and Engineering.
- Support the Accountancy Management Team to ensure sufficient resources and capacity to manage services delivery, including recruitment and retention of team members to provide the required in-house accountancy services.
- Identify learning and development needs for the team in conjunction with the People Team including professional study plans.
- Provides guidance, training, coaching and mentoring to Trainee Accountants and other part qualified Accountants, sharing and disseminating technical knowledge to upskill students when preparing for exams.
- Review Professional Evaluation Records (PER’s) for students and ensure CPD requirements are met for direct reports.
- Keep up to date with the latest changes to tax laws, rules and regulations through attendance at industry courses, workshops - develop knowledge and skills and maintain Continuous Professional Development (CPD), Practical Experience Requirements (PER’s) and complete annual Crunch Essentials Training.
- Identify opportunities to outsource Core Crunch services and other add-on services to Partner Accountancy Practices and take on the necessary capacity to underpin achievement of business growth plans.
- Actively promote and manage the additional services delivered by Accountants to support achievement of Crunch’s key revenue growth targets (for example, accountancy reviews, upselling packages, Client referrals, financial services).
- Oversee the delivery and achievement of service level targets, taking corrective action as necessary with Partners for services such as year end accounts, self assessments, references and client queries (cases).
- Effective networker and advocate for the accountancy service throughout Crunch.
- Represent Crunch at external networking events, including with prospective clients and partners.
- Provide cover and senior level support to other teams within the Accountancy department when required.
- Deputise for the Accountancy Service Manager where required.
Role specific qualifications and experience:
- Qualified accountant, or very close to qualifying with professional certified/chartered accountancy qualification (such as ACCA, ICAEW, or CIOT).
- Meet ongoing professional CPD requirements for the professional qualification held.
- Experience and working knowledge of all accountancy products and services provided by Crunch.
- Management experience with a similar business model to Crunch, notably SaaS, or alternatively mixed tax and accountancy experience in a Practice or industry role at the same level.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships across all levels within Crunch and across multiple functions.
- At least intermediate IT literacy skills, in particular the use of Microsoft Office/Google Suite packages and a market leading cloud based CRM system, preferably Salesforce.
- Hold a valid ACCA (or equivalent professional body) practising certificate, (when the relevant Post Qualification Experience (PQE) is achieved and there is a business need to fund annual renewals of a practising certificate).
What you’ll get in return:
We’re very proud of our collaborative and inclusive working environment - you’ll be working as part of a fun and vibrant team, with a whole host of fantastic company benefits!
- A starting salary of £37,418, increasing with experience and progression in the role and team.
- ACCA or equivalent annual subscription fees are also funded.
- 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) - plus an extra half day holiday on your birthday.
- Long service awards plus extra holidays for 5 and 10 years’ service.
- Workplace pension scheme with Scottish Widows after qualifying service period.
- Private Medical Insurance with Bupa after qualifying service period.
- Life assurance (4 x salary) with Met Life after qualifying service period.
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) with Health Assured.
- Enhanced pay for parental & family leave.
- The opportunity to earn commission for add-on products and services.
- Store discounts with Crunch Perks.
- Company funded social events.
If an applicant discloses any disability or learning need, we will endeavour to provide reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview(s), which are usually carried out remotely on video calls. If you consider yourself to have a disability or learning need and would like to discuss additional support available, please let us know.
Crunch is committed to equal opportunities in every aspect of our company and the community, embracing and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment for our team members, those who apply to work for us and our client base, without exception.
We believe that the key to our success is our people, we value the contributions and experiences of all who make up our community. Supported by our company policies and procedures, we will take every possible step to ensure that no person will suffer direct or indirect discrimination on the grounds of ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, age, neurodiversity or disability status.
No recruitment companies or agencies please and we don’t accept unsolicited CVs.