Accounting, Insight and Advisory Supervisor/Assistant Manager
As one of the world’s largest networks of audit, tax and consulting firms, RSM delivers big ideas and premium service to help middle-market businesses thrive. We are a fast-growing firm with big ambitions – we have a clear goal to become the premium adviser to the middle market, globally. This vision touches everything we do, motivating and inspiring us to become better every day. If you are looking for a firm where you can build a future and make an impact, then RSM is the place for you.
Overall job purpose
The Accounting Insight Advisory Group (AIA) are responsible for the preparation of accounts for SME clients. Much work is done for the client on the year end statutory accounts and therefore a strong understanding of FRS 102 and FRS 105 is essential.
You will be required to provide support to the AIA Managers in regard to the profitable running of their client portfolios, working with a team of staff to ensure the highest possible standards of client service at all times and to take an active role in the growth of the office through identification of opportunities and involvement in the business development process.
Ideally, the successful candidate will be a newly qualified either as ACA or ACCA and be able to demonstrate good experience in financial reporting.
- To ensure that jobs are completed to the highest standard, within the agreed internal budget for the job and to discuss all material points arising on the assignment with the manager / partner and client
- To plan assignments in accordance with the firm’s standard procedures and confirm arrangements with the client, including likely costs and billing arrangement
- To take the hands on supervisory role on assignments as and when required
- Train clients on their accounts system
- Deals quickly and effectively with client queries (client focus)
- To brief junior staff on the client’s business and the pre-assignment instructions, to supervise and control the completion of work, and to undertake ‘on the job’ training and provide feedback where necessary
- To implement the firm’s review and completion procedures and to ensure that the client subsequently receives the final accounts, management letter and adjustment to opening balances on a timely basis
- To liaise with the client throughout the year and to practice the principles of excellent client service at all times
- To ensure that appropriate liaison takes place with all other departments, mainly audit and tax, and that all potential client needs are identified and serviced accordingly
- To develop a detailed knowledge of the firm’s specialist services, actively look for opportunities to cross sell, and to undertake special work in response to client needs where appropriate
- To maintain an advanced level of technical knowledge through appropriate reading and courses, and to fulfil any development or training requirements
- To support the training and development of the staff within the AIA department
- To be involved in any other administrative departmental and office issues as deemed appropriate
Key Performance Measures:
- Delivery of high-quality financial statements and overall service to clients
- Deadlines are met
- Budgets achieved
- Adherence to the firm’s procedures
- Flexibility towards hours of work and tasks performed including assisting other staff e.g. dealing with urgent tasks at short notice when required
- To keep confidential any information obtained concerning the business affairs of the Firm, its staff and clients
- Portray the Firm in a professional manner through appearance, conduct and attitude
Personal and professional qualities
The role requires:
- A good understanding of UK financial reporting requirements
- An understanding of the following accounting packages would be advantageous: Sage and Xero.
- Ability to demonstrate commercial awareness and to add value
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Well-developed people skills to relate to clients and colleagues
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Strong accounts production skills. Previous experience of CCH Accounts Production would be desirable, but not essential.
- Ability to prepare corporation tax computations. Previous experience of Alphatax would be desirable, but not essential.
- Newly ACA or ACCA qualified
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM
At RSM, we want to create a strong sense of belonging so that people of all identities, backgrounds, and cultures feel they can bring their true self to work. Our clients come from all walks of life. We aim to achieve that same diversity of background, experience and perspective in our own teams, so that we can genuinely understand our client’s needs. Diverse teams bring a broader range of ideas and insights to work. That’s why we’re working together to ensure our firm’s principles and processes support a firm culture that embraces difference and strengthens inclusion.