Burberry plc, a global multi-billion-pound luxury fashion business, is seeking to hire a Lead Accountant. The role is part of the Burberry Business Services (BBS) organisation based in Leeds, United Kingdom.
The Lead Accountant will be responsible for delivering high quality financial information, compliance and controls. They will oversee the execution of RTR tasks for the BBS EMEIA region in accordance with the Group Policies, IFRS and local GAAP requirements and agreed service-level agreements. In addition to relevant technical accounting expertise, this position requires a good manager of people, processes and projects as responsibilities also include managing a team of accountants and continuously improving processes to achieve more efficient ways of working.
- Manage a high performing team ensuring they have the necessary skills and capacity is effectively prioritised to deliver key activities for a limited number of entities.
- Ensure compliance with the Group Policies, including operating effectiveness of internal controls over financial reporting.
- Role may require some travel at times and work on some weekend/public holidays during peak periods.
- Lead a high performing team through ensuring there is the necessary clarity across the team around roles, objectives, timescales, priority of deliverables and expected quality of outputs to meet and exceed stakeholder expectations.
- Collaborate effectively in a team by managing workload expectations, adapting personal style, and responding to internal and external stakeholders
- Communicate clearly and listen actively while acknowledging different perspectives
- Prioritise continuous development by maintaining a clear plan of improvement that influences their own role.
- Apply understanding of business processes to drive simplification, standardisation and automation to deliver more effective, efficient and robust processes.
- Effectively manage change by adapting, following guidance, understanding business needs, and anticipating impacts on roles
- Encourage issue identification and implement corrective and preventive action plans to resolve problems and improve processes.
- Proactively seek feedback from fellow team members and other internal and external customers, and use this to inform future delivery of services.
- Work collaboratively with other functions to identify and leverage potential upgrades or consolidate systems and processes.
Qualifications & Experience
- Professional accounting qualification is required e.g. ACA, CA, ACCA or CIMA.
- At least 3-5 years of relevant accounting experience, 1 year of which must be post qualification.
- Strong technical background with experience in a FTSE company applying IFRS or local accounting GAAP is required.
- SAP training and certification is desirable. Experience of BPC is an advantage.
- Must be able to fully grasp the broader issues and provide functional guidance to those reporting to them, rather than rely on their own technical skill set.
- Worked within a multicurrency environment, analysing and understanding the impact of movements in exchange rates on reported results is desirable.
- Advanced Excel skills with experience of building and working with complex models and large data sets.
- Demonstration of management/supervisory experience, including history of hiring, training, motivating and retaining accounting personnel is desirable. Can provide examples of effective leadership and getting the best out of people, including during demanding periods.
- Has track record and appetite for delivering continuous improvement. Able to generate commitment to change amongst own team.
- Can provide evidence of working collaboratively with peers.
- Uses a variety of techniques to influence a range of technical and non-technical stakeholders across a range of operational issues. Able to establish personal credibility at all levels.
- Builds effective relationships through interpersonal skill and technical expertise to aid cross-functional working, delivery and a sense of collaboration and teamwork.
- Can operate both at the tactical and, where required, detailed level.
- Displays an affinity for technology’s ability to drive efficiencies and enhance service delivery.