Financial and Strategic Advisory Supervisor/Assistant Manager
As one of the world’s largest networks of audit, tax and consulting firms, RSM delivers big ideas and premium service to help middle-market businesses thrive. We are a fast-growing firm with big ambitions – we have a clear goal to become the premium adviser to the middle market, globally. This vision touches everything we do, motivating and inspiring us to become better every day. If you are looking for a firm where you can build a future and make an impact, then RSM is the place for you.
Overall job purpose
This exciting role is to join the largest Accounting and Business Advisory (ABA) team in the South West, based in our Bristol office. The ABA team is split into three sub-teams - Accounting, Insight and Advisory (AIA), Accounting and Financial Reporting (AFR) and Financial Advisory Services (FAS).
You will be a key member of the growing FAS national team based in the Bristol office. The FAS team is a highly responsive, agile and commercially driven client facing technical team within RSM’s ABA department.
You will be responsible for working on a broad range of technical accounting, financial reporting and business advisory assignments addressing the practical application of financial reporting standards under IFRS and UK GAAP under various scenarios.
As a Supervisor you would be expected to complete technically challenging projects. These may include, for example, analysis of the accounting treatment for:
- Complex contracts and/or transactions;
- GAAP conversions from UK GAAP, IFRS or US GAAP;
- Group reconstructions; and
- Acquisitions and divestments.
Your portfolio of clients may include a mix of fast-growth companies, established owned-managed businesses and large and listed corporates across a variety of sectors. One week may be a scale-up looking for guidance on how to account for research and development spend and the next week assisting a household name with a technical accounting matter or acquisition.
The fast growth of the department will create opportunities to develop further skill sets including business development, coaching of junior staff and participating in recruitment of graduate trainees. It will also present an opportunity to work with a variety of colleagues and businesses across the UK, as well as supporting your local office.
RSM has a commitment to ‘grow our own’ talent. We want all our people to reach their full potential. Our range of learning and development programmes has been set up to help everyone achieve their goals. Whether you’re looking to expand your skill set or want to become a manager, director or partner, our first-class training and career development opportunities will help get you there.
- Taking the lead on delivering accountancy advisory projects for clients as they arise, for example: group reconstruction work, IFRS transition consultancy work, reporting on the accounting considerations for a specific contract or transaction series, support on acquisition accounting and complex consolidations.
- To act as a focal point of contact with the clients. To communicate any problems or any contentious issues identified to the assignment manager and/or partner immediately. To identify and form suggested solutions.
- To practise the principles of excellent client service always. The position will involve significant client contact.
- To liaise with other departments within the office, especially the audit and corporate tax teams.
- To ensure that agreed deadlines are met and significant issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- To act as a coach to more junior members of the team and to participate in staff training and supervision as required. This role has the opportunity for line management of junior staff depending on experience.
- To develop and maintain an advanced level of technical knowledge and expertise both through appropriate reading and courses (fulfilling relevant Institute’s CPD requirements) and through exposure to stretching and challenging assignments.
- A willingness to travel to client’s premises is required. However, the significant proportion of work is office-based working within our fast-growing team.
- This role may also include assisting the compliance teams in the preparation of statutory accounts under IFRS, FRS 101 and FRS 102.
Personal and professional qualities
The role requires:
- Qualified accountant status (ACA or ACCA qualified or equivalent).
- A positive, can-do attitude and a willingness to learn and progress.
- A passion for financial reporting under IFRS and UK GAAP, with experience of applying principles in complex situations gained either in practice or in industry.
- Strong project management and organisational skills.
- A team player able to work closely at all levels from Partners to junior staff.
- Ability to deliver results autonomously – a “self-starter”
- Experience of working with multiple clients simultaneously.
- Experience of supervision and coaching of junior staff.
- Experience of Microsoft Office, with high competency with Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Working within or alongside an audit team.
- Experience of working in a professional practice.
- Management of a portfolio of clients and projects, including client care responsibilities, project management and WIP/billing management.
- A sector specialism
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM
At RSM, we want to create a strong sense of belonging so that people of all identities, backgrounds, and cultures feel they can bring their true self to work. Our clients come from all walks of life. We aim to achieve that same diversity of background, experience and perspective in our own teams, so that we can genuinely understand our client’s needs. Diverse teams bring a broader range of ideas and insights to work. That’s why we’re working together to ensure our firm’s principles and processes support a firm culture that embraces difference and strengthens inclusion.
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.