Financial Reporting Assistant Manager
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions entrepreneurial organisations need to navigate today’s changing world.
We work with the companies that are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high‑growth businesses that fuel the economy - and directly advise the owners and management teams that lead them.
We’ll broaden your horizons
The Business Services and Outsourcing team are essential to meeting our clients' evolving requirements. As well as delivering long-term, sustainable value to businesses by providing a range of solutions such as accounting, payroll and compliance services, they also play a key role in tying together many of our services across BDO both domestically and internationally. By building deep and meaningful relationships with a range of clients from ambitious entrepreneurial SMEs to large multi-national groups, our BS&O team don’t just advise on their specific business challenges, they open doors for other teams to provide our firm’s wider service offering. To succeed in this agile environment, you’ll need to demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills and initiative. In return, you’ll have the opportunity for progression, and the chance to develop in one of the industry’s most exciting and varied roles.
We’ll help you succeed
Leading organisations trust us because of the quality of our advice. That quality grows from a thorough understanding of their business, and that understanding comes from working closely with them and building long-lasting relationships.
You’ll be someone who is both comfortable working proactively and managing your own tasks, as well as confident collaborating with others and communicating regularly with senior managers, directors, and BDO’s partners to help businesses effectively. You’ll be encouraged to identify and draw attention to opportunities for enhancing our delivery and providing additional services to organisations we work with.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-growing business with the potential for career progression.
Our Northern office has a fantastic culture and this particular service line can offer a flexible schedule and work-life balance. We have adopted a hybrid working policy with the ability to work from home or the office based on the needs of the task.
The role offers a great opportunity to develop your existing financial reporting and technical knowledge within a supportive and close-knit team. High quality training and development will be provided to the successful candidate.
We work on a large variety of clients largely within the SME space. We produce financial statements under a range of accounting frameworks including FRS 102 and IFRS.
As an Assistant Manager you will be responsible for the day-to-day management of a portfolio of clients and be required to work closely with and support more senior members of the team in the timely delivery of services. Services you can expect to fall within your portfolio are the preparation and review of year-end statutory accounts for large groups or complex clients and ad-hoc advisory services.
You will determine resource requirements to service your portfolio, monitor progress against budget and time-frames, review work of more junior members of staff and resolve issues prior to Manager or Partner review.
You will work independently and be accountable for the delivery of the project to the Manager or Partner for review, being the first point of contact for our clients and auditors throughout the project.
In addition to client facing work, you will also work to provide support to the management team on departmental issues including coaching and feedback to more junior members of staff, ensuring compliance with the stream’s policies and procedures and the firm’s risk management procedures.
Key skills: Confident communicator, strong organisation, team player and able to research and resolve technical challenges.
- Manages a portfolio of clients. This includes responding quickly to, as well as anticipating, client requests and needs, keeping clients informed of progress in relation to all aspects of the service provided and maintaining regular contact with clients.
- Prepares or reviews statutory financial statements, consolidation models and cash flow workings under a range of accounting frameworks including FRS 102 and IFRS to a high level of quality and delivered in line with agreed timetables.
- Review the work of juniors and provide timely constructive feedback to enable the development and improvement of other’s technical ability. Act as a point of contact for more junior members of the team for technical advice.
- Leads on ad hoc advisory projects for complex technical areas. Some examples have included acquisition accounting advice, group reconstructions and advice on the impact of transition between reporting standards.
- In addition to accounting capabilities, you will have a rounded business knowledge, able to analyse client data, make recommendations and talk credibly to clients on the issues they face.
- Displays sound judgement on when to escalate issues to management or involve other experts to support clients.
- Ensure that the firm’s risk management and quality control procedures are adhered to at all times.
- Identify and recognise business and sales opportunities with new and existing clients and inform the management team as appropriate.
- Engage in networking and building internal and external relationships to identify new business and sales opportunities for new and existing clients.
- Scope new projects and construct accurate fee proposals and budgets for review.
- Collaborating on the day-to-day management of the pipeline, ensuring all opportunities are recorded and proactively followed up.
- Monitors delivery against a project plan and intervenes or escalates issues to management as necessary to ensure engagements stay within budgets.
- Support the management team with the implementation and communication of any new business strategy for existing clients, target clients and the internal business.
Training and Development
- Assist in the development of the junior members of the team including delivery of formal or on-the-job training where required and providing timely feedback.
- Act as a role model for the team.
- Qualified ACA, ACCA or equivalent.
- Previous experience in a supervisory role.
- Strong working knowledge of UK reporting standards (including UK GAAP and UK-adopted IFRS) and related financial reporting requirements.
- Previous experience preparing and/or reviewing statutory accounts, consolidations and cash flows.
- Evidence of ability to research technical accounting matters.
You’ll be able to be yourself; we’ll recognise and value you for who you are and celebrate and reward your contributions to the business. We’re committed to agile working, and we offer every colleague the opportunity to work in ways that suit you, your teams, and the task at hand.
At BDO, we’ll help you achieve your personal goals and career ambitions, and we have programmes, resources, and frameworks that provide clarity and structure around career development.
We’re in it together
Mutual support and respect is one of BDO’s core values and we’re proud of our distinctive, people-centred culture. From informal success conversations to formal mentoring and coaching, we’ll support you at every stage in your career, whatever your personal and professional needs.
Our agile working framework helps us stay connected, bringing teams together where and when it counts so they can share ideas and help one another. At BDO, you’ll always have access to the people and resources you need to do your best work.
We know that collaboration is the key to creating value for the companies we work with and satisfying experiences for our colleagues, so we’ve invested in state-of-the-art collaboration spaces in our offices. BDO’s people represent a wealth of knowledge and expertise, and we’ll encourage you to build your network, work alongside others, and share your skills and experiences. With a range of multidisciplinary events and dedicated resources, you’ll never stop learning at BDO.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we help entrepreneurial businesses to succeed, fuelling the UK economy.
Our success is powered by our people, which is why we’re always finding new ways to invest in you. Across the UK thousands of unique minds continue to come together to help companies we work with to achieve their ambitions
We’ve got a clear purpose, and we’re confident in our future, because we’re adapting and evolving to build on our strengths, ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. We shape the future together with openness and clarity, because we believe in empowering people to think creatively about how we can do things better.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.