Private Client Tax Senior Manager
To ensure delivery of the private client tax function workflow and to directly manage a portfolio of private client tax relationships. To provide technical expertise to clients directly and to internal KR client colleagues. To provide a high quality client service experience for private client tax clients whilst ensuring adherence to individual job budgets and maximum fee recovery.
Scope/Reach & Key Relationships
- Assist with SL functional responsibility
- Technical input supporting internal and external needs
- Ownership of own client portfolio/contacts for ongoing management and development
- Partners and employees who are key stakeholders of compliance clients and job specific private client tax work
- Formal people management responsibility for one or more direct reports
- Developing and building own network of intermediaries and prospects and general new BD involvement
- Government bodies and external organisations such as HMRC
Principal Accountabilities / Responsibilities:
Job/Workflow & Technical Management
- Oversee planning, prioritising, resourcing and allocation of relevant client corporate tax work (compliance & advisory) ensuring effective team workflow
- Ensure all client private client tax work is managed within budget in line with 'The KR Way standards of performance' document (e.g. the life of a tax return) and ensure obtain appropriate director/partner sign off in line with the review process
- Provide technical input for clients and internal KR team members as appropriate
- Manage annual tax return cycle for own client portfolio
- Produce high quality technical advice (eg reports, letters, emails, etc) requiring minimal input from more senior colleagues
- Be a point of contact across the firm for tax technical advice in a particular area
- Ensure full agreement from the client of work to be undertaken and communicate likely fees prior to commencement to maximise fee recovery
- Oversee the monitoring of work progress and ensure appropriate levels of communication with all clients and internal stakeholders on jobs progress
- Monitor WIP and notify clients in ‘real time’ of any expected changes to the fee quote
- Ensure team preparation of bills for own team and ensure timely sending to client
- Manage own workload with minimal input from directors upwards
- Run regular workflow meetings to ensure maximum work on track and to tackle any off track
- Developing private client tax technical skill and keeping up to date through training courses, appropriate research and identification of changes in legislation, HMRC policy and as a result of cases.
- Take proactive steps to seek out tax advisory work from allocated private client tax work
- Monitor debtors and ensure appropriate levels of communication with clients to ensure recovery of debtors. Consider whether to continue working if significant or overdue debts.
- Manage the firm’s risk through ensuring appropriate team members undertake the work, and there is consultation with others as appropriate.
Client, Internal and External Organisational Contact
- Manage, protect and develop your own client portfolio, ensuring the firm adds maximum value to clients which will in turn maximise fee levels
- Respond to clients’ requests for tax advice
- Confidently answer or manage questions from the client, and refer to other firm specialists (e.g. in another SL) where appropriate
- Provide support and contact to clients managed by other SLs requiring private client tax input and advice
- Ensure sufficient team contact resource is available for clients, Kreston Reeves personnel and external organisations with self and team members as appropriate
- Ensure overall provision for high levels of client service is in place across the Private Client Tax team
- Provide appropriate access and support for other SLs to private client tax only clients so as to assist the cross selling of services into the private client tax client base
Leadership, People Management and Development
- Formally line manage and ‘enable’ best performance of a team of direct reports
- Identify training (eg tax technical) and development needs of more junior colleagues & provide training & assistance in these areas where appropriate
- Delegate work to colleagues to meet training needs and be available to assist with queries
- Ensure the defining and agreeing of formal objectives and development goals for all direct reports in line with the private client tax SL business plan
- Monitor individual and team performance versus original objectives and departmental KPIs
- Provide regular feedback to all direct reports on their performance on job specific standards, ensuring praise where due and highlighting of issues for team member learning
- Be aware of individual team member capability and aspiration, and ensure input into individual PDPs
- Conduct regular assessments of each direct report’s competence, motivation and required support and resources and where ‘gaps’ versus the job specification are observed, take specific action to rectify via the creation of a personal development plan as a minimum through the quarterly review process
- Conduct formal appraisals versus original objectives and job specification for each direct report every twelve months
- Provide support for internal and external recruitment of new private client tax team members at Private Client Tax Senior Manager level and below
- Engender “team strength”, building a culture & framework of knowledge, trust and support for individual growth throughout the team
Internal Financial Management & Business Planning
- Monitor performance of team and individuals’ KPIs in line with the private client tax SL business plan
- Where SL performance is at or above target, ensure this is communicated to own team and the celebration of success is encouraged
- Where SL performance is below target, encourage and instigate remedial action and focus from self and team colleagues to rectify and improve short term performance
New Business Development
- Build own market profile/network and new BD activity so as to generate own leads and convert leads into clients
- Pursue business development opportunities, generating own leads and seeking to convert own and centrally provided leads into new clients
- Support the private client tax SL in delivering the required departmental incremental fee target via networking, meeting attendance, writing of articles, business pitches and presenting at webinars or seminars
- Develop suitably strong internal Kreston Reeves connections such that access and support are given by all other internal departments to their own client bases
- Seek to cross refer opportunities to other Kreston Reeves SLs from client base and prospects
Values – Demonstrates ‘living’ of the company’s values.
- Understand - Be curious, ask more and listen. Put yourself in the other person’s shoes.
- Look Ahead - Anticipate the future, plan for it, and embrace the benefits of change.
- Make it Personal - Adapt to others’ needs, flex your style to get the best outcome for every situation.
- Be Crystal Clear - Consult others, give helpful feedback; ensure people know what’s going on, and how it impacts on them.
- Be Human - Invest time in building strong relationships, have a positive ‘can do’ attitude and help others to grow.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.
Unfortunately we are unable to provide any form of visa sponsorship, so candidates must be a UK/Irish citizen or already possess a current UK Working Visa.