Senior Finance Officer
We are looking to appoint a highly organized and hardworking individual as our Senior Finance Officer.
Reporting to the Head of Finance & Operations (HoF&O), the post-holder will lead day to day finance operations in the school ensuring high quality financial delivery from procurement to accounts payable and payroll. This is an exceptionally busy position which would suit an ambitious, part-qualified accountant looking to cement their management skills or an established finance officer seeking a new challenge.
You will be a diligent finance operator with a keen eye for detail with excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as being proficient in the use of accounting software and microsoft applications.
We are able to offer flexible hours to great candidates and job share options will be considered. This is a year-round position although term-time only applications are encouraged. We can be flexible if you can!
Experience of working in a school is desirable although not essential as we will provide training on specific accounting requirements for school.
The successful applicant will have:
- Excellent organizational and time keeping skills
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to explain finance to non finance professionals
- A keen eye for detail
- Proficient in microsoft applications
- A can do attitude with the flexibility to undertake a wide variety of tasks
- The ability to use initiative to problem solve, manage priorities and be calm under pressure
Experience & Knowledge
- Part qualified accountant - AAT / CIMA / ACA / ACCA
- Knowledge of PS / IRIS Financials software is desirable
- Knowledge of accounting standards applicable to academy schools is desirable
- Knowledge of safeguarding procedures for young people
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Undertake monthly journal postings to finance ledgers
- Complete month end process checks such as bank reconciliations
- Support HoF&O in completion of monthly management accounts
- Support HoF&O in preparation of the school budget
- Meet with budget holders on a regular basis to review cost centre expenditure
- Take the lead on financial management of school trips to ensure that due policy is followed and trips are well planned by trip leaders
- Processing of invoices, checking to Purchase Orders and goods received notes, ensuring appropriate authorisation and payment in accordance with agreed procedures and timescales
- Assist with the weekly BACS runs by preparing, checking, uploading and sending the payments via the online banking system.
- Reconcile school suppliers’ statements on a monthly basis
- Processing and reconciliation of petty cash
- Dealing with queries from suppliers (including statements), debtors, budget holders and other school staff
- Processing of Purchase Orders from requisitions, accurately and in accordance with agreed authorisation and timescales
- Distributing POs to suppliers and budget holders as required
- Placing orders on behalf of heads of department including sourcing quotations where required
- Investigating and resolving supplier invoices under query arranging returns and ensuring that refunds or credit notes are received
- Recording of credit card transactions, assistance to staff using the credit card, reconciliation of statement
- Assist in ensuring value for money by undertaking spend analysis as directed
- To provide financial information reports from the finance system for finance managers and give advice as requested
- Assist with Sales Ledger including raising of invoices and debtor management
- Process payments for pupil sundry items such as locker keys, student lanyards, revision books and other items.
- Oversee parent pay ensuring that all parents have appropriate access
- Add payment items / trips and visits to Parent Pay and monitor payment progress
- Run reports from parent pay for income generated
- Respond to parental queries received into the Finance department
- Process refunds and charges accurately.
- To actively engage in the appraisal and professional development process
- To undertake such other duties as may be required which are commensurate with the job.
- To take part in all required CPD and have a positive, invested attitude towards your professional development
As a school we are passionate about the professional development and wellbeing of all of our staff.
- Annual staff wellbeing day where the school is closed
- Commitment to CPD
- Free staff lunches during term time, daily staff refreshments
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Termly ‘shining lights’ where staff nominate others for recognition
- Use of the on site gym
- Workplace Nursery benefits scheme
- Cycle to work scheme