Pensions Technical Manager
About the role
Balfour Beatty are currently looking for a Pensions Technical Manager to join our Group Head Office team based in Prescot
Within this role you'll be responsible for technical aspects of the services provided by the Balfour Beatty Pensions Centre (BBPC) to its various customers including pension fund trustees, corporate finance team, HR, commercial teams, Defined Benefit (DB) and Defined Contribution (DC) members of the Balfour Beatty Pension Fund (the Fund) and related parties; and provide corporate support to businesses in relation to other pension and life cover arrangements.
What you'll be doing
As a Pensions Technical Manager, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Ensure procedures and tools are in place for the Pensions Centre to maintain ongoing compliance with statutory legislation, regulations, BBPF scheme rules and appropriate quality standards, developing new procedures and tools as necessary
- Identify and manage any member communication changes required and maintain an accurate, up-to-date member communications library; and help to improve user experience
- Become an expert user of our pensions administration software system, Compendia:
- Understand how the member data is held, how to analyse and report on data and improve quality of data held where possible
- Develop and maintain on-system and off-system calculation specifications and associated testing material
- Work with Compendia supplier to undertake system upgrades where necessary and maximise new functionality
- Lead on delivery of major change projects, collaborating with all stakeholders as required
- Develop technical training and tools needed by administration team and facilitate / deliver to team
- Identify suggestions for improvement to maintain effective systems and controls, improve business efficiencies, reduce potential complaints and manage business risks. Escalate these to senior management team for consideration and implementation
- Peer review of complex calculations as required, interpreting the Rules of the BBPF and other documentation
- Provide corporate pensions support to businesses in relation to other pension schemes and M&A activity
Who we're looking for
You will have the following:
- Educated to degree standard and with a strong educational background.
- Pensions Qualification (PMI or Actuarial): full or nearly qualified or equivalent
- Proven experience of working within pensions
- In house or third party pension administration management or pensions consultancy experience
- DB and DC pensions knowledge and experience
- Strong pensions legislative and technical knowledge
- Experience of performing manual calculations, developing and using calculations specifications and dealing with complex queries across all types of scheme events
- Attention to detail with experience of interpreting Scheme Rules, legislative regulations and other legal material
- Strong analytical and data interrogation skills
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beattys Enabling Functions includes our centralised HR, IT, Procurement, Finance, Health & Safety, Sustainability and Comms teams. Together we support Balfour Beatty to deliver projects on behalf of our clients. We operate according to our Build to Last values of Lean, Expert, Trusted, Safe and Sustainable.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.