Manager, U.S. Individual Tax
Inspirational, innovative and entrepreneurial - this is how we describe our empowered teams. Combine your passion with purpose and join a culture that is thriving in the face of change.
Make an impact with our U.S. Individual Tax team as a Manager. This diverse team of professionals delivers customized tax strategies within a complex and dynamic regulatory framework. As a trusted advisor, you’ll deliver innovative, strategic plans that address clients’ cross-border needs and minimize tax liability.
MNP is proudly Canadian. Providing business strategies and solutions, we are a leading national accounting, tax and business advisory firm in Canada. Entrepreneurial to our core, our talented team members transcend obstacles into opportunities and are successfully transforming mid-market business practices.
- Lead multiple client facing engagement teams responsible for the completion of U.S. Individual tax engagements involving advice on tax planning opportunities, tax minimization strategies, and compliance issues
- Assist organizations in deciding which US Individual structure will be the most effective from a tax perspective – subsidiary, branch, or joint-venture partnership; as well as assisting clients in choosing effective methods of capitalization and financing that are efficient
- Accountable for the delivery of industry and technical expertise relating to complex tax and assurance issues through high quality deliverables such as: client interactions, reports, technical work, and management presentations
- Perform due diligence or modeling with respect to potential acquisitions by Canadian entities of US subsidiaries, partnerships or business operations
- Review domestic/international federal and multi-state individual information returns
- Manage project financials (budgets, WIPS, timely billing and collection and variance recognition)
- Correspond with team members and clients in response to specific individual tax queries
- Review, investigate and correct discrepancies and irregularities in financial entries and reports
- Research client issues that arise from compliance or planning work such as the effects of various tax treaty provisions on the taxpayer (capital gains, dividends, business profits, etc.)
- Contribute to the preparation and delivery of competitive proposals to meet client needs
- Collaborate with client engagement team prior to commencement of client work to discuss roles and responsibilities, risk areas, materiality and deadlines
- Think strategically about client needs by understanding their business and key risks
- Identify ways to maximize the relationship with clients and deliver added value
- Maintain high quality control by reviewing tax returns and other work done from other team members for accuracy and completeness; provide feedback to team members
- Monitor project timelines against targets, adjust where necessary; advise clients of project status and seek clarification on discrepancies where applicable
- Network and take a leadership role in the local professional, business, and community while raising awareness of MNP and looking for new business development opportunities
- Leverage team appropriately to ensure proper documentation is prepared for the client and procedures relating to the file are followed accordingly
- Contribute to the development of new ideas and approaches to improve work processes
- Develop, coach, and train team members towards professional and personal development
- Conduct formal, written annual performance reviews
- Promote regular attendance, balanced lifestyle and high standard of team wellness
- Attend internal MNP courses to further develop accounting and assurance knowledge
Skills and Experience
- Completion of a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation or U.S. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation
- Working towards or possesses a Master’s Degree in U.S. Taxation or Law or Member of the Bar is considered an asset
- 5 to8 years of relevant work experience in public accounting and/or tax consulting
- Extensive knowledge of and experience working in U.S. Individual Tax
- Solid understanding of business, accounting, management and practice development principles
- Experience preparing and reviewing. tax compliance and implementing of tax reorganizations
- Working knowledge of transfer pricing tax concepts
- Experience working with, or exposure to, accounting and tax software such asCaseWare, GoSystem, ProSystem and Profile
- Strong computer literacy including effective working skills of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Some travel may be required
More than a paycheque, MNP is proud to offer customized rewards for our team members. With a focus on health and wealth, we provide an extensive list of benefits that support our unique culture and foster work-life integration.
Our MyRewards@MNP program offers benefits that allow you to thrive at work and outside of the office. Be rewarded with generous paid time off including 4 personal days, firm sponsored social events, a group pension plan with 4% matching contribution, voluntary savings products, bonus program eligibility, a wellness subsidy, health and dental benefits, mental health resources, exclusive access to perks and discounts, professional development assistance, learning opportunities through MNP University, a flexible ‘Dress For Your Day’ environment and more!
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.