Senior Manager, Controlling - ASEANA
We are a leading chemical company, with the best teams developing intelligent solutions for our customers, and for a sustainable future.
We connect and develop people with diverse talents all over the world. For you, this means a variety of ways to progress.
Not only your performance but also your personality matter to us, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, orientation, and background. At BASF, careers develop from opportunities.
BASF has been operating in Malaysia for more than 30 years, through a number of wholly-owned companies and joint ventures in the country. BASF (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd was incorporated in 1989, and operates main office in Bandar Utama and a manufacturing plant in Pasir Gudang in Johor, as well as an operational site in Kulim, Kedah. BASF Asia-Pacific Service Centre Sdn Bhd began its operation in 2005. Located in Kuala Lumpur, the Shared Services Center provides functional services in the areas of finance, controlling, information services, human resources, environment, health & safety, procurement and import-export order management to BASF Group companies in 19 markets across Asia Pacific. BASF Services (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd, established in 1997, provides infrastructure and utilities support services to BASF sites in Malaysia. BASF holds 60% of its joint venture BASF PETRONAS Chemicals Sdn Bhd, which operates a state-of-the-art Verbund production site in the Gebeng Industrial Zone, Pahang, and 50% of Toray BASF PBT Resin Sdn Bhd. BASF posted sales to customers in Malaysia of approximately €390 million in 2021 and had 2,295 employees as of the end of the year. Further information is available on www.basf.com/my.
Objectives of the Position
- Act as a trusted business partner & drive all aspects of Business Performance Controlling in ASEAN and ANZ sub-region.
- Provides financial advisory and support to the management team, analyzing financial data, determine and highlight risks and opportunities.
- Interface with Regional Controlling to provide sub-region related financial information that will support the RBU in making economic decisions.
- Drive process streamlining, digitalization and automation across the sub-region.
Reporting & Communication
- Provide regular updates to management, including variance analysis, profitability analysis and trend analysis to identify areas of improvement or potential risks.
- Develop root cause analysis and gap closure plans when results are not as per financial plans expectations.
- Communicate, discuss, and challenge financial impacts. Escalate of issues and actions plans to LBM, BMs and Functional Leaders as required.
- Define KPI dashboard for LBM and BMs to monitor and review their performance.
Budgeting & Forecasting
- Develop and Lead Annual Plan including budget and rolling forecast with budget owners.
- Work with cross-functional team across the entire span of business planning activities.
- Instill strong cost control & recommend cost saving initiatives in achieving business & operational targets.
Strategic Planning and Controls
- Lead the implementation of a warning system by analyzing the defined business performance data and profitability to detect deviations and reduce business risk.
- Work closely with RBU on any Investment Plan in the sub-region.
- Improve and ensure compliance with internal processes and governance standards.
- Implement process improvements based on recommendations made by Corporate Auditor.
Working Capital Control & Net Cash Contribution (NCC)
- Cross functional collaboration to enhance the operation efficiency and control & minimize risks in the use of working capital, e.g. adequate level of inventory to deal with fluctuations in demand while avoiding excessive accumulation and obsolescence.
- Managing Account Receivables and ensure appropriate commercial credits offered to customer. Balance the need to maintain sales and healthy business relationships with the need to limit exposure to customer with low creditworthiness.
- Lead the process of CAPEX allocation within ASEAN Plant and reporting to be aligned with RBU.
- Manage CAPEX and OPEX to align operational needs with business strategies.
- Coordination with Product & Margin Management team on product cost analysis, cost to make, cost to serve and suggest portfolio improvement measures.
People and Organization Management
- Lead and develop the capabilities and competencies of the Controlling team to fulfil daily and future business needs.
- Empower the team in general topic such as better collaboration, inclusion and diversity and process simplification.
- Ensures appropriate resources are in place with proper succession planning.
Minimum Education and Qualification Required for the Position
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or above in Accounting, Economics, Finance, Business, Chartered Accountant designation or equivalent.
- Working Experience: Minimum 10 years’ experience in controlling management with proven record of successful people management.
- Technical & Professional Knowledge: SAP system, asset management, finance, or accounting knowledge
- Strong commercial awareness and business acumen.
- Willingness to act pro-actively by identifying risks, opportunities and anticipate changes.
- Self-directed with the ability to effectively manage competing priorities and thrive under pressure.
Candidates must be resident in Malaysia, or have the right to work in Malaysia.