Specialist - Credit Trading and Supply
Being part of Trading & Supply Credit Manila, responsible for performing daily operational credit activities in support of all T&S entities, including:
Credit checks, which is a process of providing credit advice to T&S traders for each transactions regardless of its tenor and nature and according to acceptable payment terms before agreeing to deal contract issued to counterparty.
Regular Credit Operations, specifically system updates and/or relevant reporting coupled with stakeholder engagement requiring fast and dependable service to avoid downside risk, support the deal lifecycle and ensure it operates within the Credit control framework.
These roles are part of the Global Credit Underwriting & Operations Team (Houston, London, Singapore and Manila), which is focused on business impact and operational excellence.
This role encompasses a wide range of tasks and covers the majority of business lines with which Shell is involved in e.g. Crude and Financial etc. It therefore offers real variety and an opportunity to impact commercial outcomes. We are seeking an individual to join the team that can think creatively, has a passion to understand and critically assess the businesses with which Shell trades with through an understanding of the macro environment and is ready to bring ideas for continuous improvement.
Act as the day to day ‘face of credit’ interfacing directly with traders and the Global T&S Credit team, commercial and finance stakeholders to support and advise pre-deal requirements. Tasks will include but may not be limited to:
Conduct Credit Check Activities for All Trading entities. These include:
- Daily responding to pre-deal credit check requests for the Oil & products, LNG, Chemicals, Energies and Freight business lines. Also back up for pre-deal STR barge checks.
- Daily interface with traders, commercial credit managers and trade finance as needed to achieve win-win pre-deal advice
- Contacting traders as needed to gain more understanding about deal scenario
- Identifying available credit limit by referencing to approved credit assessment file and exposure calculation.
- Identifying risk mitigation techniques to support business opportunities
- Ensuring KYC & other compliance requirements on all deals
- Prepare credit reports for KPI and review with relevant focal points in Houston, London and Singapore.
- Promote continuous improvement in process, controls, and protocols
The Shell Trading Network is fast moving and growing rapidly. The Trading & Supply business is becoming increasingly complex with a changing macro-environment and with a shift in global supply-demand. Shell Trading & Supply is seeking to do business in riskier Emerging Market countries and with entities that have questionable Credit Quality. This coupled with a generally Credit adverse macro environment makes it increasingly important that we maintain a robust credit checks process that ensures T&S risk is mitigated via credit securities or cash. Transactions being entered into are also of increasing number, complexity and tenor. All of which lead to the need for strong controls and an Operations team that is resilient, nimble and detail oriented
The role will support ALL trading entitles situated in the different hubs in Singapore, London and Houston.
- This role creates the opportunity to further define the Global Trading Credit Organisation particularly in the new Trading & Supply world while we look to continually innovate and define best credit solutions to support the dynamic and fast-paced Trading and Supply business
- Maintain the ability, notwithstanding the transition to a global organisation, to respond immediately and decisively in the event of the "known unknowns" in the external environment. There will inevitably be peaks and troughs in the workload over the course of the year.
- Maintain good, long-term relationships with traders, commercial credit, trade finance, KYC and global underwriting team to ensure credit advice provided was the best and will turn to positive outcome.
- Willingness to learn or currently have ability to navigate through various end use trading systems
- Demonstrate a firm grasp of the key commercial considerations, as well as an ability to weigh up and decide on the risks of each activity. The ability to know when to escalate is essential.
- Keep connected with the other teams within Credit, KYC and Trade Finance in all core locations, to ensure the team understands emerging challenges the location-based teams are facing and can re-prioritize effort as required.
- Work effectively with other parts of finance
- Give enthusiastic and vocal support to the Global Trading Credit organisational changes, the benefits of which will in many cases be felt in the longer term, while continuing to meet the ongoing needs to the global Trading and Supply businesses in the immediate term
Experiences & Qualifications
- Ideally, would have relevant finance experience with specific focus in Credit or prior work experience in the corporate sector, especially within a Trading or Credit team.
- The ability to work under pressure, working to tight deadlines and juggling several different items.
- Strong commercial understanding, especially the ability to balance speed, cost benefit and long-term relationship management.
- Clear attention to detail and passion for continued learning
- The ability to communicate complicated ideas in a clear and uncomplicated fashion.
- Remain open to different perspectives (i.e. from other businesses & locations) and be able to switch priorities at short notice.
- Demonstrate ability to coach junior team members and take ownership and deliver on specific projects.
- Experience in working in a global organisation and in a virtual working environment