Associate Director - Accounting Advisory - FAAS
We are Grant Thornton. We go beyond business as usual, so you can too.
Grant Thornton Ireland (GT) has over 2,500 people in 10 offices across Ireland, The Isle of Man, Gibraltar, and Bermuda, with a presence in over 130 countries around the world, and a global network of over 62,000 people
At GT, we work as trusted advisors, bringing local knowledge and national expertise, with a global presence, to help businesses succeed – wherever they are located. We make business more personal by investing in building relationships and empowering our clients to make the right decisions for their organisation now and for the future. Whether that is working with the public sector to build thriving communities, with regulators and financial institutions to build trust, or with a diverse range of businesses to help them achieve their goals, Grant Thornton Ireland work hard to support clients to act on the issues that matter.
At GT Ireland we don’t just predict your future, we build it.
A Career at GT
Looking for a more fulfilling role in professional services? One where fresh thinking, collaboration and diversity are valued? At Grant Thornton we do things differently.
What does this mean for you?
A career in a more inclusive working environment, a more collaborative work culture, a more supported, flexible working role, more possibilities to grow and more opportunities to help shape the future for your clients. We respect and value your experience. And we want you to bring your authentic self to work and be at your best. It is how it should be.
Grow with us
At Grant Thornton, we care about our people and work hard to make you feel valued. If you are looking to deepen and develop your skills, knowledge, and experience throughout your career, then that is what you will get, and more.
The Grant Thornton FAAS department is a specialist team who primarily service complex large scale and Multinational Companies (MNCs), focusing on being a centralised point of contact for their global requirements. Our experienced and multicultural teams are experts in areas of Global Compliance and Reporting Solutions (GCRS) and Audit and Accounting Advisory (AAA) – both operating through our Centre of Excellence in Ireland, Business Process Outsourcing (BPO), Global Payroll Solutions (GPS) and Flexible People Solutions.
The characteristics of the target client base we are selling to are as follows:
- complex clients and group structures;
- technically demanding;
- driving efficiency and change;
- looking for value;
- want a single point of contact ;
- sophisticated procurement processes; and
- often SEC regulated.
The service delivery therefore, demands a combination of rigorous project management with clear communication protocols, technical excellence and a deep knowledge of public and private Company reporting environments. This role will suit an ambitious motivated person who is willing and interested in getting involved with helping the team and thrives in a varied role working across different clients. It involves working closely with the Partners and Directors within Grant Thornton but also with key people from our multinational client base.
The priorities of this role will be:
- Providing practical accounting advice to clients on a variety of complex issues, including:
- New standard implementation both in Irish & UK GAAP, IFRS and possibly US GAAP
- GAAP conversions – arising from either a regulatory change or a capital markets transaction, the candidate will have experience of assisting clients with converting from an existing GAAP to a new accounting framework
- Transaction accounting – in the areas of business combinations, purchase price allocations and carve-out accounting. The candidate will preferably not just be experienced in identifying the technical accounting requirements but also in the implementation of the principles on the transaction numbers
- Revenue recognition – experience in providing detailed accounting advice on the application of IFRS 15 and ASC 606 arising from the review of revenue contracts or emerging deals
- Building a personal reputation as an Accounting Advisor and enhance our reputation in the market as a leading Accounting Advisory practice by:
- Building a community of technical accountants in the market
- Create and publish technical accounting collateral either in Ireland or by leveraging off the Global Network’s publications and resources
- Represent the Irish firm at the Global Accounting Advisory working group
- People and knowledge development skills:
- This role requires the candidate to not only have an excellent technical knowledge but also to be able to use that knowledge to building and maintaining strong relationships with senior finance personnel.
- Managing and coaching junior team members who will work with you on the delivery of accounting advisory assignments.
- Keep both our wider team and clients up to date with technical developments and also be able to provide training and workshops to refresh their knowledge on accounting topics in Irish & UK GAAP, IFRS and preferably US GAAP.
Individual’s experience, skills and attributes
- A self-starter with an ability to work on their own initiative, but knowing when to seek assistance and work collaboratively. This role will be best suited to someone who is seeking to stretch themselves not just technically, but also in the area of developing a practice area
- Mature and confident person with excellent interpersonal skills, particularly communication skills
- Energy, enthusiasm and passion for a new challenge. This role is suited to someone who wants to make the future happen rather than wait for it to arrive
- A growth mindset, with a flexible and adaptable approach being able to work on different clients with different needs and styles.
- ACA/ACCA qualified with 6 years+ experience in a role which can demonstrate the experience required to achieve the above priorities, either in a professional services or industry environment
- Specific experience of managing, developing and coaching other team members.
Life at GT
Rewards and benefits:
Our rewards and benefits are designed to create an environment where our people can flourish. We are committed to building a culture where our people have access to the necessary benefits to help promote a healthy lifestyle and thrive.
Inclusion and diversity:
Included and valued for your difference is how everyone should feel at work. Not just because it is right, but because we are all at our best when we are able to be ourselves. So, when you join Grant Thornton, we will work hard to ensure that is how you feel. We want you for who you are. We are excited to see the personality and perspectives you will bring to our team because we know we will all benefit from them.
Diversity of thought, background and experience enables better decision-making, improves the quality of our delivery, and helps us to meet the needs of our clients. Our firm is built on people and their ideas, so we want to hear all the new perspectives and fresh thinking you have to offer.
We want to create a culture of recognition and celebrating success, by saying thank you to people who surpass our expectations and recognising the right values and behaviours. Our Shout Out recognition scheme is our way of highlighting and promoting achievements. Whether you simply want to say thank you, celebrate a special occasion or give an award for doing something exceptional, you can do all of this and more through the scheme.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.