Team Manager - Trading Settlements
Position Description – Purpose
Shell Trading integrates a global portfolio of crude oil, refined products, natural gas, electrical power, chemicals and freight trading based in the UK, US, Canada, Singapore, The Netherlands, Japan, Barbados, United Arab Emirates, The Philippines and Russia. Additionally, it provides marine expertise to operating units and manages a substantial fleet of vessels.
Currently the Settlement processes are broadly divided basis line of Business as well Geographical locations viz., North America (NA), WONA (World outside NA) & Global Freight. This role will specifically cover Global Freight area. The purpose of this role is to manage and lead the Global Freight settlements Process.
The processes are complex and often time critical; they involve working closely with different teams within the Trading business, particularly the operations teams across the Trading locations. Each day, Finance Operations processes transactions worth billions of dollars with third parties for Trading and hence poor process performance would have a significant impact on Group profitability, cash flow and reputation.
The role provides an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to quickly gain knowledge of a fast moving and exciting business, to gain leadership experience, and of managing operations that are progressing towards top quartile performance
Position Description – Accountabilities
- Provide accounting services relating to reconciling a wide range of SOAR accounts, managing MJEs, operating key and non-key SOX controls, daily specific key debt chasing activities.
- Provide full transaction settlement process execution required by the refined products businesses related to Accounts Receivables.
- Coordinate activities for Global Freight Settlements within Shell Trading’s functional area, ensure the team meet all agreed metric’s, KPI’s and service standards.
- Responsible to review month-end/quarter close discrepancies by identifying "Root Causes" and taking proper action to resolve them along with following up with relevant parties on pending issues to ensure timely resolution.
- Ensure adherence to the fundamentals of standard accounting principles and policies.
- To maintain a robust controls culture and performance aimed at 100% design and operating effectiveness.
- In line with the changing dynamics of T&S business perform a periodic review of controls framework and create a mechanism which provides early warning of any impending challenges.
- Develop deep business knowledge to ensure sufficient understanding of how potential improvements, new business and systems will impact the end to end process.
- Drive operational process improvements by working closely with the team and business and ensure timely delivery of Continuous improvement initiatives.
- Embed knowledge management within the team and ensure that local process/business/stakeholder knowledge is adequately recorded/documented and retained across the various teams within Trading Settlements.
- Actively support knowledge sharing within the Trading Settlements team.
- Develop and foster connections with relevant business partners in the Trading business and other stakeholders to ensure performance and control issues in the end-to-end process are identified and resolved quickly, and that high-level issues are appropriately escalated, discussed and resolved.
- To lead and manage staff by guiding and directing them on day-to-day accounting issues, reconciliations, system-related issues, new business and system changes and ensure feedback on performance is given on a timely basis.
- Discuss GPA, IDP, and competencies. Developing, coaching and mentoring staff for improving effectiveness and efficiency.
Position Description – Special Challenges
- Strong communication, interpersonal and negotiation type skills across the organization and different regions are a must, as this position requires contact with internal and external customers.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to deliver results through collective and co-ordinated effort.
- Strong Influencing skills to get support/acceptance from dynamic stakeholders to implement new ideas and digitalization changes
- Strong accounting skills to understand the accounting operations and how these transactions relate and impact the larger financial accounting picture.
- Circumvent process gaps and identify process improvement areas concerning control incidents, stakeholder issues, Career progression & SME proposition & to provide strong & continuous interface support to Trading business at all times
- Ability to handle System/ Process Complexity along with System Transitions & work in co-ordination with IT design & support teams
- Working in Flexible Shift timings to stay connected with the settlements team and business continuously considering the process requirements and complexities.
Experience and Qualification required
- Professional / Bachelor degree in Accounting or Finance or related business degree.
- Strong experience of 8+ years in financial accounting and receivables managements with team management experience of at least 4+ years
- Experience in dealing with complex aspects of Trading business and its accounting, Statement of Account Reconciliation and Variance analysis will be an added advantage.
- Ability to manage team(s) & stakeholders with varied processes involving manual judgments & Accounting Analytics complying to KPIs, Service standards & reporting requirements.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently while under pressure and with competing priorities
- Prior experience of Process improvement initiatives using Lean Sigma methodology
- Good Microsoft Access and Excel skills. Good Knowledge of SAP is highly preferred.
Key Competences Required
- Builds Shared Vision - Knowledge
- Champions Customer and Stakeholder Focus - Knowledge
- Maximizes Business Opportunities - Knowledge
- Demonstrates Self Mastery - Knowledge
- Displays Interpersonal Effectiveness - Skill
- Demonstrates Courage - Knowledge
- Motivates, Coaches and Develops - Skill
- Values Difference - Knowledge
- Delivers Results Through Others - Skill
- Process Management - Knowledge
- Process Improvement - Knowledge
- Process Design - Awareness
Demonstrated evidence of Enterprise first values and behaviors will be taken into account during the selection processFor further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.