Senior Accountant - Valuation Oversight
An excellent opportunity to join us as a Senior Accountant to join our investments team within finance. This is an exciting time to join us as we are looking to significantly grow our illiquid asset capabilities and investment mandates.
Salary and benefits: Up to £75,000, plus 16% bonus up to 32%, private medical cover, 38 days annual leave, excellent pension, 12x salary life assurance, career breaks, income protection, 3x volunteering days and much more
Job Type: Permanent
Location and flexible working: Edinburgh, Wythall, Telford.
Closing Date: 5.6.2023
We are looking for a highly motivated valuation oversight Senior Accountant to join our investments team within finance to support the development of our key valuation oversight controls over illiquid assets. This is an exciting time for the organisation as it is looking to significantly grow its illiquid asset capabilities and investment mandates. This role will present the right candidate with the opportunity to shape the valuation oversight function within finance during a period of change and growth. The incumbent will be critical to helping create a robust framework within the team for valuation change impacting illiquid assets.
Who are we?
We want to be the best place that any of our 6,800 colleagues have ever worked.
We're the UK's largest long-term savings and retirement business. We offer our 13 million customers products across our market-leading brands, including Standard Life, SunLife and ReAssure, with c.£310 billion of assets under administration. We're a FTSE 100 organisation that is tackling key issues such as transitioning our portfolio to net zero by 2050, and we're not done yet.
- This role will be primarily responsible for overseeing the valuation change impacting illiquid assets
- Provide finance expertise into valuation change forums covering new initiatives e.g. new instruments, managers, mandates.
- Design and development of a robust valuation oversight framework & associated controls to robustly challenge illiquid asset valuation
- Documentation of methodologies, reviews and conclusions covering illiquid assets valuations.
- Opportunity to work with various stakeholders, internal & external to business e.g. various functions within internal asset management teams & external asset managers
- Support the team with governance papers for on-boarding new illiquid assets
- Keep abreast of all technical/regulatory changes in respect of illiquid investments
- Co-ordinate and perform assurance work over processes at outsourced service providers (OSPs)
- Deliver and execute investment asset valuation oversight processes, validation checks and controls to ensure the robustness and accuracy of asset values in the ledger and asset data store
- Appropriate professional qualification in accountancy or recognised investments qualification
- Experience working in large financial services and/ or asset management business
- Valuation experience of hard to price/ illiquid assets
- Proven track record of developing and embedding robust valuation processes or oversight controls over illiquid/ hard to price assets
- Understanding of different investment valuation techniques and best practices.
- Experience of working within a Financial Controls environment
- Knowledge and experience of investment valuation, accounting & reporting
- Strong analytical and report writing skills
We want to hire the whole version of you.
We are committed to ensuring that everyone feels accepted and welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If your experience looks different from what we've advertised but you believe that you can bring value to the role, we'd love to hear from you.
If you require any adjustments to the recruitment process, please let us know so we can help you to be at your best.
Find out more about #LifeAtPhoenix
- Guide for Candidates: thephoenixgroup.pagetiger.com/guideforcandidates
Find or get answers from our colleagues: www.thephoenixgroup.com/careers/talk-to-us
We value diversity in our workforce and welcome enquiries from everyone.