Senior Tax Adviser Malaysia
Where you fit
This is a truly unique opportunity in one of COG core country. The tax challenges in Malaysia are hugely significant in a Group context and this role provides a tremendous opportunity to make a real impact through ensuring ongoing operational excellence and the chance to make a significant contribution to the bottom line.
In accordance with the Tax Management Framework and Controls (TMF&C), manage the effective and efficient operation of reporting, compliance and shaping processes, including managing the Tax people performing such services.
Work on other matters assigned where value and priorities dictate, including providing tax advice support on significant transactions as required.
What’s the role?
- Support the Country Tax Manager in delivering all domestic activities related to Malaysia and their role in accordance with the Tax Management Framework and Controls, the Tax Manual of Global Tax Standards and the Tax Manual of Authorities, including the following:
- Supporting the Country Tax Manager, Malaysia in managing and driving external engagements to shape legislation and regulations affective Shell Malaysia Group of Companies, which includes managing relationship with the Inland Revenue Board Malaysia (IRBM) and Ministry of Finance.
- The role is responsible for proper management of all taxes in Malaysia, including audits, and dispute resolution, irrespective of whether these are handled in his/her own organisation. The role supports the provision of support to FO Tax for the delivery of accurate tax reporting and compliance and meeting external tax transparency reporting requirements for his/her assigned countries.
- Highly effective at managing tax risks whilst supporting business objectives. Make recommendations that are objective, practical, technically appropriate and supportive of the Business.
- Domestic tax experience, including tax accounting, commensurate with the seniority of the role, gained working for Shell, another multinational, or a professional firm. This is an individual contributor position reporting directly to a senior tax manager in the organisation.
- Highly effective at managing tax risks whilst supporting business objectives. Ability to make recommendations that are objective, practical, technically appropriate and supportive of the Business.
- Demonstration of the Leadership Attributes commensurate with the seniority of the role.
- Given the need for increased prioritization and pooling, this role will work flexibly undertaking any other activities as required.
- Supporting the Country Tax Manager in acting as a focal point and key advisor for knowledge and expertise in the country tax legislation, common law and administrative practice
- Provide timely and accurate tax advice on material & high profile projects from time to time.
- Establishing and maintaining business contacts in the country as appropriate
- Maintaining Shell’s reputation in the country with regards to Tax
- Advising and influencing the position we take on tax matters for which the country tax law is unclear
- Assist the Country Tax Manager in providing strategic, operational and functional leadership to local staff
- Coordinating resources and ensure proper liaison with Tax teams to ensure tax work is professionally managed
- Support the partnership with /reliance on Business and FiB to make judgments on low-risk tax activities (provision of tools, handrail documents, decision trees etc.)
- Set priorities in accordance to those defined by relevant stakeholders
- Ensure full compliance with relevant financial accounting standards, including SOX 404 within area of responsibility
- Provide assurance signoffs to the Group in accordance with the Group’s Assurance Process
Tax Mandate - General
- Ensure there is a process in place for compliance with the Tax Manual of Global Tax Standards in the area of responsibility assigned and reporting of any breaches thereof in accordance with established practices
- Take part in special tax projects, where applicable and play active part in the Tax community where required
- Management of consultants engaged to assist on Tax projects
- Support the development and implementation of standards and priority processes in accordance with the Tax Management Framework and Controls
- Manage the necessary expenses to run the activities of the area, in order to reduce costs and achieve the goals set in T&R, in accordance with the Tax Manual of Authorities
Primary internal stakeholders include:
- In-country business and finance leads, Corporate and Treasury, FO Tax and Finance,
- Heads of Tax, Global business tax team, Tax Policy and others
External stakeholders include:
- Tax authorities and other government agencies in Malaysia, Auditors,
- External relationships and contacts, as appropriate.
Shell has been a partner in powering Malaysia’s progress since 1891 when we established our first depot in the Straits Settlements. Today, we are an integrated energy company comprising Upstream, Downstream, Integrated Gas and New Energies, Projects & Technology, and Shell Business Operations. Shell Malaysia aims to be the leading energy player in the country, powering Malaysia’s future with cleaner, innovative, and competitive energy solutions.
More than a century, Shell has been operating and we continue to extract and deliver oil and gas efficiently, profitably, and in environmentally friendly and socially responsible ways to meet evolving customer needs and the growing demand for energy.
With over 950 service stations, Shell has the leading market share in the fuels retailing business in Malaysia. In Malaysia, we make and sell more than 600 different lubricants for the automotive sector, heavy-duty transport, food processing and power generation. We are the lubricants market leader in Sabah and Sarawak.
Integrated Gas, Renewables and Energy Solutions
Shell set out its Powering Progress strategy, which we aim to deliver through our three business pillars of Growth, Transition and Upstream. The Growth Pillar includes our Marketing and Renewables & Energy Solutions businesses and focuses on working with our customers to accelerate the transition to net-zero emissions. One of our achievement, Sarawak onshore: World’s first commercial GTL plant (SMDS)
Project & Technology
As P&T, we exist to make the delivery of Shell’s strategy and the growth of our company possible. P&T works collaboratively and in an integrated way with its business partners, to deliver value for our customers, and for Shell.
An Innovative Place to Work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An Inclusive & Progressive Place to Work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We offer several flexible working arrangements subject to business requirements for our employees to help support work-life balance.
A Rewarding Place to Work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice. Our CARE benefits are mindfully curated to promote Eco Living, overall Wellbeing, Personal Growth and Caring for our loved ones.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.
Candidates must be resident in Malaysia, or have the right to work in Malaysia.