Regional Head of Credit Americas
What is the role
- Lead the regional T&S Credit organization across multiple locations in the Americas region and manage via this organization the credit risk exposure across Shell Trading's global portfolio. This is a senior role and at times a proxy to the Global Credit Manager given time zone differences where on occasion a decision on taking urgent remedial action in conjunction with senior executives to help T&S remain within Risk Appetite is required.
- Ensure delivery of our complex Process, Data and Systems improvement agenda, whether robust and consistent supervisory controls, ensuring the respective Regional Credit organization understands and mitigates risks via the LOD1-3 framework or leveraging the new Global Credit Solution ($20m+ investment in Cube Logic, a new credit application). Ensure all solutions can scale with the expected business growth.
- Drive people development to support the ambitious T&S business growth agenda by up skilling and future skilling team members in identified global best practices solutions or identifying and hiring external talent where required. Champion the behaviors expected throughout the team.
- Support the evolution of Shell via active leadership as Sector Captains in the development of the Sectors initiative and consultancy Credit services for RES and JVs as required. Lead, develop and evolve relationship with DS Credit, ensuring shared best practices and collaboration wherever possible.
- Act as primary focal points on credit risk management and strategy matters to all key senior commercial and financial stakeholders within Shell Trading and beyond.
- Ensure that relevant policies (e.g. Global Shell Trading Credit Manual) are fit for purpose and implemented in line with Shell Trading's Mandate. Oversee all commercial activities undertaken within the global Shell Trading network. As well a key part of the core credit leadership that designs and promulgate credit policies and procedures that manage the credit risk of the Trading & Supply organization and its portfolios.
- Approve the allocation and renewal of open credit lines to counterparties under "Level 1" delegated authority (one level below EVP Finance authority), and where relevant approve all credit mitigation or "trade finance" strategies (e.g. letters of credit, silent cover and other credit insurance) employed with trading counterparties. Authorities under Level 1 are up to $1b in limits and up to tenors of 15 years.
- Provide credit functional insight into all decisions to exceed approved credit lines for a defined period and under tightly prescribed conditions as set out in the Shell Trading Credit Manual. This insight covers a wide spectrum of Tier 1 credit risks from different tenors (Short 1-3 years, Medium 3-5 years and long up to 30 years or beyond).
- Build and implement appropriate credit risk governance so that decisions requiring Level 0 authority or issues of an unusually complex or long-term strategic nature are discussed with the Shell Trading Leadership. To that effect conduct or chair proceedings of credit committees where such complex or strategic issues will be aired and deliberated.
- Lead on and off shore credit professional as part of the global leadership team, each with discrete responsibilities respectively for either a) customer-facing (external & internal) "credit integration and commercial interface" matters in the three main regional offices of Singapore, London and Houston, or for b) operational excellence activities & processes, whether for regular (often daily) core credit activities, such as assessments and receivables management, margin calling & exposure monitoring
- Support the T&S Chief Risk Officer, Head of Credit Risk Management and the global risk management leadership team by liaising closely with members of the Market Risk and Global Operational Risk Leadership Teams to ensure the Trading Leadership team receives a complete overview of key risks in the Shell Trading business.
- Provide visible and energetic leadership of a change agenda, which will a) drive standard approaches towards regular operational and reporting activities, bringing their efficiency up to the highest global standard in all cases (while accepting many activities will remain best handled at a regional/local level), including maximising the value from the existing finance operations team in Finance Operations, b) release senior/experienced credit professionals in the team to focus on external, and internal commercial & finance stakeholder interaction on an ongoing basis, as well as introducing forward-thinking credit strategies that challenge the status quo, and c) create/foster the dynamic of sharing commercial knowledge and best practice credit practices between all locations at all levels in the organisation, which in turn will support the development of people across the credit team and broaden their horizon to opportunities across Shell.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Bachelors Degree required
- 5 or more years of relevant experience
- A clearly defined and executed career in Risk, focusing on data management and reporting
- Clear demonstrable evidence of leading the design and rollout of Risk reporting activities within a large multinational corporation
- Thorough understanding of the business or organization's goals and values
- System architecture, data mining and process management skills
- A persuasive communicator across all levels of the organization
- Ability to handle private, sensitive, confidential information appropriately
- Strong attention to detail, an eye for innovation and simplification wherever possible
- Analytical, logical, and organizational skills
- Exceptionally strong decision making, planning and prioritization skills
- A proven problem solver who is committed to continuous improvement
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.