As one of the world’s largest networks of audit, tax and consulting firms, RSM delivers big ideas and premium service to help middle-market businesses thrive. We are a fast-growing firm with big ambitions – we have a clear goal to become the premium adviser to the middle market, globally. This vision touches everything we do, motivating and inspiring us to become better every day. If you are looking for a firm where you can build a future and make an impact, then RSM is the place for you.
Overall job purpose
There has never been a more exciting time to pursue a career in Audit at RSM.
Audit is our largest service line nationally, and we are growing!
We provide comprehensive Audit services to clients ranging from OMBs, through to large listed PLCs. We believe that it is important for our people to have experience across a range of industries and sectors, so we do not typically have individuals in our teams working on only one type of client.
RSM has a culture of transparency and supportiveness, we remain people focused, and we care about your development. Within Audit, we promote from within wherever possible, we listen to your career goals and aspirations, and we will support you in your short- and long-term goals.
Are you ambitious? Do you want to feel heard and recognised? Do you want to work closely with your clients, building lasting relationships which allow you to make a real contribution? Do you enjoy variety, and to be challenged? Do you want to see your efforts rewarded and to be continually developed? Our culture is our greatest strength, and many of our most senior Partners joined us at Assistant level.
About the job
In this role, you will be a key part of Audit teams undertaking assignments, providing assistance to Supervisors and Assistant Managers leading assignments. There are many exciting opportunities for anyone looking to join our teams;
- Extensive internal student training program directed by a specialist team
- Full study support package, including ICAEW approved professional development training program
- Regular provision and discussion of feedback to assist in progression to a supervisor role
- Post qualification internal and international secondment opportunities, subject to performance
- Internal office and regional team events
Key responsibilities include;
- You will be a key part of the onsite audit team, liaising with other team members and client staff to ensure the assignment is completed as per the agreed terms
- Generally reporting to a Supervisor or Assistant Manager, with opportunities to lead assignments where appropriate
- Ensuring assurance quality at all times and compliance with the firm’s procedures
- Communicating effectively with all stakeholders, identifying any contentious issues to be resolved
- Opportunity to provide training and supervision to more junior staff
Willingness to show initiative and take responsibility for the completion of assignments, and to assist with managing own workload and those of staff around you to enable assignments to be delivered
A “can-do” attitude to working, including flexibility to work in a range of client locations across the region, and occasionally beyond, on a wide range of clients to provide on-site assistance of each assurance assignment in an efficient and effective manner, and to help ensure that clients receive a quality service in all aspects.
- To be a key part of assurance teams undertaking assignments, including opportunities to lead the on-site element of the work
- To ensure that each assignment is undertaken in accordance with the pre-assignment instructions, and to carry out all aspects of the assignment efficiently, thoroughly and in accordance with the firm’s procedures
- To ensure assurance quality at all times, contribute to internal and external quality assurance, ensuring all actions are completed in line with the firm’s and the profession’s standards
- To communicate any problems in complying with these instructions, or any contentious issues identified, to the assignment manager immediately, identifying and commenting upon the possible solutions
- To provide adequate briefing, supervision, and “on the job” training for less experienced members of staff
- To act as day to day point of contact for the client, and to practise the principles of excellent client service at all times
- To maintain an awareness of the firm’s specialist services and publications. Ensure added value to clients
- To review work completed by less experienced staff for adequacy and completeness, and to undertake job appraisal reviews
- To summarise actual time spent compared to budget on each assignment, and to perform the firm’s review and completion procedures before passing the files for manager review
- To develop and maintain an advanced level of technical knowledge through appropriate reading and courses, and to fulfil professional CPD requirements
- To maintain training records conscientiously and to keep up to date with examination studies, as applicable
- To attend staff meetings and training and to assist in student recruitment, training and marketing activities as required
- To maintain an awareness of Health & Safety issues within the firm and report any concerns to the nominated Health & Safety representative
- To carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, the title of the role and its grading, as required by the Line Manager or Head of Department
The role requires:
- Candidates must be ACA, ACCA or AAT part-qualified with preferred first time passes in all examinations
- To enable us to provide study support, candidates will need to have strong academics - 5 GCSEs at C or above including B in Maths & English Language, 112 UCAS points from top 3 A levels (or equivalent). Graduates will need at least a 2:1 degree. All grades must be achieved at first attempt.
- Minimum 12 months consistent exposure to assurance assignments with a reputable firm
- At least 75% of previous experience to have been on assurance assignments
- Full driving licence and access to motor vehicle
- Assurance experience of at least one the following types of clients would be advantageous:
- Owner Managed Business clients
- Charities & other Not for Profit clients
Note: This job description reflects the present requirements of the role. As duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed and will be subject to amendment in consultation with the individual.
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM
At RSM, we want to create a strong sense of belonging so that people of all identities, backgrounds, and cultures feel they can bring their true self to work. Our clients come from all walks of life. We aim to achieve that same diversity of background, experience and perspective in our own teams, so that we can genuinely understand our client’s needs. Diverse teams bring a broader range of ideas and insights to work. That’s why we’re working together to ensure our firm’s principles and processes support a firm culture that embraces difference and strengthens inclusion.
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.