Accountant, Financial Reporting
Who we are
Our core principles of service, expertise and integrity have guided us from our start as a Chicago bank in 1889 to our position as a multi-faceted global financial services provider. Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally.
Our focus on employee work/life balance, diversity, career mobility and unique opportunities are among the reasons we’ve been named one of America's Best Large Employers and recognized as an employer of choice around the world.
What we do
Northern Trust’s international business has grown dramatically over the last decade. Some of our largest clients are located in Asia and Australia, which represents a rapidly growing client base for the company. Our intricate understanding of the region allows us to provide unique insights and strategic perspectives to our clients. Currently, we have client offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur.
Northern Trust is proud to serve the Australian community with global capabilities, meaningful insights and exceptional service. Institutional clients across Asia Pacific have relied on Northern Trust for effective solutions and ethical guidance across asset servicing and asset management since 1986.
The Financial Reporting Accountant supports the Australian Investment Accounting team and is responsible for the timely delivery of month-end reporting, Financial Statement preparation, tax reporting and regulatory reporting to APRA and ABS.
The accountant will also be involved in implementation of new clients along with restructures and transitions for existing clients.
You will report to the Manager of Financial Reporting.
What you will do:
- Deliver high quality service to customers by ensuring accurate, timely completion of all assigned tasks and requests for information
- Review of monthly, quarterly and annual client accounting and tax reporting deliveries. This includes monthly accounting and tax packages, General Ledger reconciliation, Accounting to Tax reconciliations, quarterly APRA, ABS and BAS returns
- Establish a high level of client knowledge ensuring all obligations can be met
- Direct liaison with clients
- Identify and improve current core processes and procedures, ensuring they are updated with changes in regulations and industry trends
- Work together with other local and global teams to achieve client reporting objectives – Unit Pricing, Business Process Analysts, Client Services, Operations and Technology etc.
- Communicate effectively both orally & in written form with internal departments and external bodies
- Work closely with Manager and team on various new processes / projects
- Identify, document and disseminate new procedures and controls
- Thorough understanding of Australian Accounting standards and familiarity with Australian Taxation legislation (concepts such as TOFA, tax parcel optimisation, tax provisioning for Superannuation funds, treatment of present entitlements for unit trusts)
- Customer Service Orientation
- Ability to work under pressure and plan ahead to meet multiple client delivery deadlines
- Ability to demonstrates excellent analytical, consultative, communication and judgmental skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Tertiary degree in Business/Accounting/Finance or equivalent
- Understanding of Financial Markets including Derivatives and Corporate Actions
- CPA/CA qualification
- Experience in Custody, Funds Management and Superannuation fund industries
As of 30 September 2021, Northern Trust Corporation had:
- $15.8 trillion in assets under custody/administration
- $12.2 trillion in assets under custody
- $1.5 trillion in assets under management
- $169 billion in banking assets
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience. Which Is why we are honored to receive the following awards in 2021:
- Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg, 2021 (4th consecutive year)
- Top ranking of 100% on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s, Corporate Equality Index, 2021 (For the 14th consecutive year, Northern Trust has scored 100% and earned the designation as a “Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality”)
In Australia, we are actively involved in many ways with both community and diversity organisations, which includes charity participation days. For families we offer a very generous parental leave scheme, and all staff have access to subsidised health insurance if they choose.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us!
- Want to learn more about our company? Visit our website
- We are a leading global financial institution- Click here to check out our company accolades!
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.