External Reporting & Compliance Accountant
Purpose of role:
You will be responsible for ensuring Primark meet all our statutory reporting and compliance obligations across the 14 countries we currently operate in, in addition to supporting our international growth strategy in new markets. This role requires a deep understanding of the Primark and ABF group structure, and you will be expected to bring a commercial mindset. This role also requires strong co-ordination and communication skills, and you will be expected to proactively engage with various senior stakeholders to ensure deadlines are achieved.
Reports to: External Reporting & Compliance Manager
- Timely and accurate completion of all statutory reporting and local accounting compliance obligations for multiple legal entities across multiple countries
- Significant cross-functional working across Finance (Financial Reporting, Tax, Payroll, Treasury, Finance Operations etc), with other Primark/ABF Functions (Legal, Cosec, Retail, P&C, Technology), and with external advisors (Audit, Accounting and Legal based across Europe)
- End-to-end statutory accounts preparation process for a number of international legal entities; from supporting in the statutory year-end close process, to external filing with the respective local Companies Registration Offices (CRO), and posting of any adjustments to ensure our book-keeping aligns to our statutory accounts
- Ensuring that all publicly disclosed information is compliant and consistent with ABF plc group Annual Report and other Primark group entities
- Working closely with Cosec, including but not limited to; attendance and presentation at board meetings/AGMs, corporate funding changes (capital injections, dividends etc), other corporate changes (registered offices, directors, year-end etc), wind-up of dormant entities etc
- Familiarisation with accounting requirements (IFRS, FRS101, local GAAP) of your countries/entities, and in particular any areas where local GAAP differs from IFRS (our group reporting basis)
- Ensure secondary ledgers (where applicable) are kept up to date and accurate, from local chart of accounts mapping through to maintenance of correct balances etc
- Preparation and submission of mandatory monthly, quarterly and annual statistical surveys to the relevant local bodies (namely national bank and statistical offices reporting)
- Gathering local accounting compliance requirements for new markets (with support/advice of local advisors) and working closely with project teams to ensure delivering of compliant finance systems-setup for new markets
- Support of country projects as required (e.g. new systems rollouts to support growth or ever-changing compliance needs, such as legal books, instant reporting, ESG reporting etc)
- Involvement in technical financial accounting advice, researching the impact of accounting policy decisions on the business and advising of relevant changes
- Preparation of non-financial information (where applicable) and monitoring developments
- Preparation of financial reporting to works councils (where applicable), and supporting our local P&C/Retail teams in their engagement with local works councils on financial matters
- Management of external reporting budget, ensuring timely billing on completion of works, and tracking our professional fees spend against approved budget
- Support the preparation of periodic financial and management accounts as necessary
- Any other tasks and ad hoc projects as required by management.
- Qualified Accountant (ACCA, ACA, CPA or equivalent). Post qualification experience in industry or practice an advantage. Experience working in or with retail industry also an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) – ability to present complex information in an understandable manner and communicate to all levels within the business including those from non-accounting backgrounds
- First-rate planning and organisation skills, ability to multi-task, plan and prioritise work schedule and work within agreed timescales
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent Project Management skills – demonstrated ability to manage projects and teams
- Commercial awareness with ability to demonstrate a sound knowledge of wider business factors
- Excellent attention to detail while also demonstrating an ability to focus on higher level overview
- Demonstrated initiative with strong work ethic
- English is essential and other European language would be an advantage.
- Organised, detail-oriented, possessing the ability to effectively prioritise projects and deliverables.
- Be a collaborative team player with excellent interpersonal/communication skills, while demonstrating high levels of emotional intelligence and possess the ability to influence.
- Proven ability in developing effective working relationships across all levels of the organisation.
- Operates with a high level of integrity, diplomacy, tact and professionalism.
- Effective and persuasive presentation skills, including the ability to present complex information in an understandable manner to all areas of the business.
- Ability to lead, influence and coach others.
- Sound judgement, unquestionable ethics and integrity with high degree of transparency and trust
- Comfortable working and taking responsibility in a dynamic environment
- Working with Others; Influences with passion and energy, exciting people in their vision
- Decision Making; Makes informed decisions with pace and confidence, in difficult and pressured situations
- Self-Direction and Agility; Promotes a culture of optimism, enthusiasm and mutual support
- Customer Experience; Understands, always considers and delivers for their customer
- Demonstrates a high level of trust, collaboration, confidentiality and diplomacy
- Innovation; Implements a plan for managing and responding to innovative ideas and business opportunities
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.