Senior Strategic Finance Specialist
Senior Strategic Finance Specialist
Location: Flexible (Wales)
Starting salary:£47,408 rising to £52,359 per annum through annual increments being paid each year. (Pro rata for part time applicants).
Contract type: Permanent
Work pattern: 37 hours a week, flexible working pattern
Post number: 203583
Closing date: 4th June 2023
As an organisation we support flexible working. This role allows hybrid working (a mix of home and office working) and a working pattern suitable for you can be discussed on appointment if you are successful.
You will be contracted to the nearest NRW office to your home, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
The post holder is critical in the development and implementation of NRW’s Finance Strategy that underpins the Corporate Plan. The post will be responsible for the development and implementation of financial reporting aligned to the corporate plan and services levels and ensuring that we are extracting the best value for money from our budget. It will provide the Board, Executive Team, the Priorities and Resources Group and the Heads of Business and Service with expert technical advice on strategic financial and budgetary matters always looking five years ahead. The post holder will be expected to liaise with external stakeholders such as Welsh Government.
Your responsibilities include:
- Development and oversee implementation of NRW’s Finance Strategy that will underpin our Corporate Plan.
- Develop and provide financial reporting and advice aligned to our Corporate Plan measures and business and corporate services’ service levels.
- Provide a finance lead on the future allocation of budgets (including budget setting), ensuring that they are prioritised to provide best value for money for NRW.
- NRW lead technical financial expert on all strategic finance matters. This will require in depth knowledge of legislation, accounting standards and guidance such as Managing Public Money. The role will be responsible for interpreting these rules and working with others (Board, Board Subgroups, Executive Team, Executive Team Subgroups including the Priorities and Resources Group and Heads of Business and Service) ensure that what we charge now and change in the future is accurately modelled and legally compliant.
- Liaise with other organisations such as WG on our future year budgetary requirements.
- Working with others in the team, develop the reporting of income and expenditure across all business and service areas, service levels, corporate plan measures and funding streams, ensuring forecasts are being maintained for current and future years; reviewing the appropriateness of the allocation of time/activity/expenditure against the different funding streams.
- Advocate compliance with our Financial Scheme of Delegation, identifying and then either resolving or referring issues to the specialists for resolution.
Qualifications, experience and knowledge
Knowledge and experience of the following:
- Considerable experience working within Finance environment at a senior and technical level.
- Familiar with application of 'Managing Welsh Public Money' Principles.
- Understand a wide range of our business and environmental activities.
- Experience of being able to understand, interpret and provide advice and solutions on technical and complex financial matters and communicate the results to non-finance staff in an understandable and engaging way.
- Qualified CCAB approved qualification or qualified by experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of our Finance Scheme of Delegation with an ability to advise others.
Welsh language requirements
Essential: Level 1 – Able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- Agile and flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
- Generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
- Health and wellbeing benefits and support
- Weekly well-being hour to use as you choose
To apply, please visit our website for more details via the apply button below.