Deputy Head of Finance Business Partnering
Velindre University NHS Trust holds a special place at the heart of healthcare in Wales. It is also an amazing organisation to work and to develop your career. The Trust comprises of two divisions, Velindre Cancer Centre and Welsh Blood Service. The Trust also hosts on behalf of the Welsh Government and NHS Wales, NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership (NWSSP) and Health Technology Wales (HTW).
Velindre University NHS Trust provides our employees with a favourable salary and reward / staff benefits & support package.
The post holder will be a leading finance professional and key member of the Senior Finance Team within the Trust. The post holder will also be a key member and active participant within the senior management teams of the Velindre Cancer Service. They will support the Head of Finance Business Partnering in the management and responsibility for the overall performance of the devolved divisional finance teams and ensure the delivery of an efficient and effective business partner finance service.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will provide leadership, strategic and professional managerial and operational responsibility for the delivery of a Trust wide business partner financial management and advice service. They will work closely with the Head of Finance Business Partnering, Deputy Director of Finance, Divisional Directors and other senior managers in providing innovative, pro-active financial advice and support to the organisation, whilst overseeing the development and delivery of robust divisional financial processes and controls.
The post holder will have the key responsibility in supporting the vision and leadership in the development and implementation of the VCS financial strategy, leading to the delivery of annual financial plans and their translation into agreed budgets across the two service delivery divisions inclusive of required CIP targets.
Working closely with the Head of Finance Business Partnering, Deputy Director of Finance and other colleagues the post holder will also play a significant role in all commissioning and contracting discussions with other NHS and external organisations.
The post holder will deputise for the Head of Finance Business Partnering across both internal and external meetings / duties as required.
- Fully Qualified Accountant CCAB (Consultative Committee of Accountancy Bodies)
- Up to date on Latest Accounting Standards and recommendations
- Leadership and management training / qualification and / or equivalent work experience.
- Evidence of Continuing Professional Development within an NHS environment
- Project management experience and / or qualification
- Significant post qualification experience in a Finance Business Partnering role
- Experience of dealing with multiple stakeholders with conflicting priorities
- Recruitment, management, supervision, setting workload, appraising and development of staff.
- Experienced in developing and presenting formal, complex business cases to non-finance managers and directors
- In depth understanding of NHS Trust’s financial controls
- Senior level NHS Financial Management experience
- Ability to influence senior colleagues and budget holders to achieve positive outcomes
- Ability to provide leadership and direction
- Ability to think and act strategically
- Able to plan, prioritise and organise workload for self and departments, in complex and sensitive environments.
- Ability to analyse areas of work to identify areas which would benefit from continuous improvement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to challenge in a constructive way as necessary, all financial procedures and processes.
- A proven record of achievement in financial management, including the ability to provide advice to, and work with professionals on a team basis
- Present confidently to large and small audiences and able to present and explain highly complex financial information in a manner that can be understood by non finance managers.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to solve highly complex financial problems relating to business case products and analyses.
- Ability to carry out advanced spreadsheet modelling / forecasting
- Microsoft Office – to include Word, Excel (advanced)
- Advanced keyboard skills
- Exercise excellent negotiating skills
- Work with a wide range of disciplines at all levels.
- Work well under pressure whilst maintaining good communication and work standards.
- Ability to travel in a timely manner and willing to travel to meetings across NHS Wales
- Ability to co-ordinate and motivate team members and make effective use of available resources to analyse problems and evaluate solutions
- Self-motivated and innovative thinker
- Diplomatic and assertive
- Methodical and well organised
- Able to prioritise and to demonstrate consistent achievement of accurate work to strict timescales
- Able to communicate verbally and written with confidence at all levels and influence outcomes
- Ability to deputise for the Head of Finance Business Partnering and Deputy Director of Finance when required and work confidently with the Executive
- Management Team / Board of Directors and Senior Management Teams
- Leading large groups
- Experience of working in a Commissioning environment
- Able to speak Welsh
- Good understanding of NHS Wales accounting and reporting regime
- Extensive knowledge of accounting procedures and good practice.
- Advanced and detailed knowledge of strategic and capacity planning
- Detailed knowledge of HMRC VAT and Tax rules.
For more information and to apply, please visit our website via the apply button below.