Quality & Risk Associate Director
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions entrepreneurial organisations need to navigate today’s changing world.
We work with the companies that are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high‑growth businesses that fuel the economy - and directly advise the owners and management teams that lead them.
We’ll broaden your horizons
The Business Services and Outsourcing team are essential to meeting our clients' evolving requirements. As well as delivering long-term, sustainable value to businesses by providing a range of solutions such as accounting, payroll and compliance services, they also play a key role in tying together many of our services across BDO both domestically and internationally. By building deep and meaningful relationships with a range of clients from ambitious entrepreneurial SMEs to large multi-national groups, our BS&O team don’t just advise on their specific business challenges, they open doors for other teams to provide our firm’s wider service offering. To succeed in this agile environment, you’ll need to demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills and initiative. In return, you’ll have the opportunity for progression, and the chance to develop in one of the industry’s most exciting and varied roles.
We’ll help you succeed
Working within the Business Services & Outsourcing (BSO) Quality & Risk team, the candidate’s role will be assisting and supporting the BSO Q&R Partner Lead and the wider stream in all regulatory, quality and risk related matters.
The role is both technical and people facing. The individual will be responsible for BSO quality, regulatory and risk matters, including ensuring the stream follows best practice, complies with regulatory requirements as well as assisting and supporting the BSO Q&R Partner lead with all aspects of regulatory and quality reviews. The candidate will report to the BSO Quality & Risk Partner and will support the national BSO stream.
The candidate should enjoy carrying out detailed analysis of regulations and best practice with an ability to then apply the relevant information in varied practical and complex situations. The role involves significant interaction with BSO’s partners and staff and the successful candidate should be able to assess evidence and consider different view points before reaching and communicating conclusions to a wide range of individuals, including those at a senior level within a professional practice.
- Planning and conducting cold reviews and compliance reviews for all license holders across BSO
- Contributing to the ISQM1 project across the stream
- Co-ordinating and responding to Internal and external regulatory reviews including ensuring access to electronic and hard-copy files and acting as a first point of contact with reviewers in arranging visits and co-ordinating queries
- Co-ordinating and responding to Independence requirements
- CTO2 implementation and ongoing monitoring
- Oversight and management of standard engagement letters for “domestic” clients
- Oversight and management of Rhiza across BSO
- Harmonisation and consistency of high priority projects from central Q&R and Advisory
- Maintenance of Insite and BSO portal for Q&R
- Assisting in implementing findings or recommendations following internal or external visits into stream policies and procedures and otherwise assisting with development and drafting of stream policies relating to quality and regulatory matters
- Working with the BSO Q&R Lead Partner and wider BSO Quality and Risk team to ensure appropriate process and procedures are in place.
- Advising on compliance and technical issues when the BSO Quality & Risk Partner is on leave
- Contribute to internal BSO Quality and Risk updates and trainings
- Reviewing proposed internal policies that may affect the functioning of BSO
- Conduct other projects and duties as delegated by the BSO Quality & Risk Partner
- Hold a relevant professional qualification (ICAEW/ ACCA/Compliance with relevant experience in a similar position, either at another firm or other regulatory body.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral.
- Willingness to work as part of a close-knit team and as a self-directed individual.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to create productive relationships across BR and the firm.
- Ability to work constructively with stakeholders of all levels
- A conscientious and thorough approach with strong attention to detail.
- Takes personal responsibility and accountability for own work.
- Highly motivated with a desire to seek new ways of improving our service to our ‘internal clients’.
This role will sit within the Quality & Risk team in Business Services & Outsourcing and based in Bristol or any other BDO office where we have a BSO presence. We are committed to working in line with the firm’s WORKABLE framework.
You’ll be able to be yourself; we’ll recognise and value you for who you are and celebrate and reward your contributions to the business. We’re committed to agile working, and we offer every colleague the opportunity to work in ways that suit you, your teams, and the task at hand.
At BDO, we’ll help you achieve your personal goals and career ambitions, and we have programmes, resources, and frameworks that provide clarity and structure around career development.
We’re in it together
Mutual support and respect is one of BDO’s core values and we’re proud of our distinctive, people-centred culture. From informal success conversations to formal mentoring and coaching, we’ll support you at every stage in your career, whatever your personal and professional needs.
Our agile working framework helps us stay connected, bringing teams together where and when it counts so they can share ideas and help one another. At BDO, you’ll always have access to the people and resources you need to do your best work.
We know that collaboration is the key to creating value for the companies we work with and satisfying experiences for our colleagues, so we’ve invested in state-of-the-art collaboration spaces in our offices. BDO’s people represent a wealth of knowledge and expertise, and we’ll encourage you to build your network, work alongside others, and share your skills and experiences. With a range of multidisciplinary events and dedicated resources, you’ll never stop learning at BDO.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we help entrepreneurial businesses to succeed, fuelling the UK economy. Our success is powered by our people, which is why we’re always finding new ways to invest in you. Across the UK thousands of unique minds continue to come together to help companies we work with to achieve their ambitions
We’ve got a clear purpose, and we’re confident in our future, because we’re adapting and evolving to build on our strengths, ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. We shape the future together with openness and clarity, because we believe in empowering people to think creatively about how we can do things better.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.