Associate Manager, Manufacturing Accounting
- Mary Kay
- Dallas, Texas (US)
- Competitive salary
- 28 Mar 2023
- 28 Apr 2023
- Approved employers
- Approved employer
- Job role
- Accountant, Finance manager
- Retail and FMCG
- Contract type
- Full time
- Experience level
- Qualified accountant, Manager
Supervises a staff responsible for the timely and accurate reporting of product manufacturing related expenses and inventory at standard costs in accordance with Company accounting policies and reporting requirements, as well as Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and internal and external audit recommendations. Independently analyzes and interprets manufacturing cost and financial results to accurately measure production performance and provides value-added information to Management. Facilitates process improvements.
- Responsible for establishing initial standard costs and updating standard costs annually in the ERP system, and for the annual update of the amounts at which inventory is sold to the international subsidiaries.
- Ensures that initial standard costs are established in a timely and accurate manner by Manufacturing Accounting team. Oversees data integrity reports and troubleshoots and resolves underlying issues as applicable.
- To ensure timely completion of annual revaluation, ensures a comprehensive checklist is maintained and updated and meets regularly with task owners and team to discuss status and concerns. Maintains supporting documents in an organized manner, performs analysis of information received and final standard costs, and communicates progress, issues, and significant variances to Management.
- Manages the process of providing standard cost data and explanations to Corporate Tax in support of tax or customs audits globally.
- Proactively partners with other areas to provide relevant analysis and business solutions.
- Ensures all financial reports are completed accurately and timely.
- Assists Supply Chain management in the decision-making process by developing reports that analyze and present actionable financial information. Leads monthly meeting with Manufacturing Operations to present data related to the analysis of material loss, bill of material variances, cost savings, and work order problems.
- Supports Forecasting and Brand teams, who are responsible for creating cost estimates for new products, by providing cost accounting expertise and other information as applicable.
- Independently develops reports that analyze and present actionable financial information.
- Leads monthly financial close activities related to manufacturing accounting.
- Ensures accurate financial results by overseeing required activities, reviewing and approving journal entries and reconciliations prepared by staff, preparing journal entries and reconciliations, reviewing financial statements, analyzing account balances for unusual trends, ensuring that expenses are recognized in the appropriate accounting period and in accordance with Company policy and GAAP, and presenting results to Management.
- Analyzes manufacturing accounting in the ERP system to ensure that activities have correctly captured materials issues, completions, labor, and overhead and that the transactions are properly accounted for in the general ledger.
- Supports the Company’s internal and external auditors as a primary contact for information and reports related to inventory, standard costs, and manufacturing accounting and to explain complex accounting concepts. Prepares and reviews various schedules for internal reporting and external auditors, analyzing general ledger accounting activity as needed to explain balances and variances.
- Exercises judgment regarding the application of accounting and reporting rules, the application of government regulations, and the recording of financial transactions in accordance with GAAP. Suggests changes to Company accounting policies and procedures to ensure compliance with GAAP.
- Understands manufacturing accounting procedures and determines the most appropriate means to handle unusual accounting circumstances that fall outside of normal working parameters.
- Manages the financial aspects of ERP system upgrades, modifications, and implementations for the area.
- Ensures that financial reporting and data integrity requirements are incorporated in the project plans and that system testing is complete.
- Works with various departments to develop and implement internal controls for the Corporate ERP system including financial integrity reporting, system upgrades, and system implementations.
- Oversees the validation of data integrity for standard costs and related data in the ERP system and ensures that updates are made accurately and timely.
- Responsible for working with various groups to identify gaps and discrepancies and to recommend core database changes to ensure accurate financial reporting.
- Supervises Manufacturing Accounting team.
- Identifies areas of development for direct reports and meets regularly to provide motivation, mentorship, direction, and plans of action for professional growth.
- Implements Company, divisional, and departmental personnel initiatives to ensure that direct reports are adequately prepared and trained for their positions.
- Participates with the Manager in the development of team goals and objectives and in addressing personnel-related matters as appropriate.
- Guides staff to prioritize tasks in order to achieve group objectives.
- Ensures adequate personnel coverage and serves as a backup for direct reports when needed.
- Continuously assesses internal processes and implements changes that would allow greater process efficiency or enhanced reporting.
Skills & Experience
Experience: 5+ years in Accounting/Cost Accounting with 2+ years of Supervisory Experience
Education: Bachelor/University Degree in Accounting
License/Certification: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Management Accountant, or other Certified Cost Professional Certification Required
- An understanding of GAAP and internal controls, the accounting treatment of manufacturing accounting transactions, and the preparation and review of journal entries.
- Advanced understanding of integrated ERP systems and the relationship of financial data and processes to other areas in the Company. Ability to understand the implications to financial statements and unit costs of errors in the system.
- Technology: Utilizes digital tools to perform tasks at a high level of productivity. Identifies and supports transformation of processes with technology. Able to identify processes that can be conducted more efficiently with technology and to identify when use of digital tools is not effective or practical. Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Excel, Teams, PowerPoint, Outlook and Word). Uses strong working knowledge of the PeopleSoft, JDE, and Ariba, and Tableau systems to maximize productivity within team.
- Influence: Builds and maintains trusting relationships by actively listening to stakeholders and backing up opinions with facts, knowledge, and logic. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and good interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with team, internal customers, vendors, and Company management, and to effectively supervise personnel.
- Storytelling with data: Organizes and structures presentations or communications in a way that is easily understandable to the audience. Uses judgment to validate that data is accurate, relevant, and used in the proper context. Develops stories and builds arguments using data and visuals that lead audiences to clear conclusions in ways that compel action. Must have strong analytical skills and the judgment required to analyze financial reports and resolve complex issues. Must be able to identify when anomalies are material, the significance of the anomaly, the root causes of the anomaly, and recommend corrective actions.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to successfully manage multiple projects, the expectations of multiple business partners, and changing priorities.
- Must be able to exercise extreme discretion in dealing with confidential information including financial and audit information.
Looking for a career where you can make a difference?
At Mary Kay we are committed to enriching the lives of women and their families around the world, we offer careers with unlimited opportunities to do something beautiful every day. More than 5,000 employees work in locations around the world. They provide the products, marketing and other support to millions of Independent Beauty Consultants (IBCs) who work as independent contractors, selling our products directly to consumers in nearly 40 markets on five continents.
We are a company that believes in our people and cares for them with truly exceptional benefits. We offer:
- A comprehensive health plan which includes medical, dental, and vision with low premiums
- 401(k) plan
- A generous profit-sharing program
- Free access to on-site fitness center and on-site clinic
For more information and to apply, please visit our website via the apply button below.