DE&S / SDA Senior Finance Officer
- Ministry of Defence
- MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol, BS34 8JH
- £32,500 to £35,000
- 22 Mar 2023
- 17 Apr 2023
- Approved employers
- Approved employer
- Job role
- Accountant, Financial analyst, Financial planning & analysis, Tax
- Defence and military, Public sector
- Contract type
- Full time
- Experience level
- Qualified accountant
About the job
At Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) and the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA), we’re here to ensure the UK military is equipped, supported, and connected, as they protect life at home and overseas. We manage a vast range of complex projects to buy, support and supply vital equipment and services that the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force need, so they can operate safely and effectively.
Our people push for best-in-class every day – because it helps keep our nation safe. So whatever your background, whatever your skillset, if you’re driven to set new standards, find your place with us.
At Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) and Submarine Deliver Agency (SDA), we are excited to be expanding our Finance & Accounting team with excellent opportunities to join our organisation as a Finance Officer.
As a Finance Officer, you will be involved with a wide variety of work, from the delivery of financial processes in accordance with the pre-determined timescale and requirements to ensuring value for money.
You will gain exposure and experience from working with teams and stakeholders across our business and corporate finance teams, whilst delivering robust financial information to senior managers.
We will offer you the support and guidance to develop your skills and further your expertise with a clear pathway to excel in our organisation.
At DE&S / SDA we support Smarter working, which empowers you to make decisions about when, where and how you work. Please note there will be an expectation to attend the stated site at minimum one day a week.
Please note, due to security requirements, some posts are reserved for Sole UK Nationals only.
About the role
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Collate, prepare and produce accurate management information and reports
- Analyse and challenge financial and non-financial information to ensure accurate forecasts
- Maintain financial data and report in accordance with DE&S policy
- Prepare financial statements and ensure accuracy, completeness and compliance with reporting requirements
- Review recorded financial information to ensure data meets external audit requirements
- Advise on appropriate VAT treatment to customers based on published MoD/DE&S policy
- Provide objective scrutiny and challenge to expenditure proposals
- Ensure financial policies and procedures are consistently applied in accordance with published processes (from the Business Management System)
- Provide insightful analysis of financial data through the preparation of a clear commentary
- Planning, management and supervision of finance tasks to ensure timely delivery to a high and consistent standard
To be successful with your application, you'll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
Finance related degree level qualification or be AAT Qualified (Level 4) or be part-qualified with a CCAB (or CIMA) professional body or proven experience gained within a finance, tax or accounting role.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Technical Accounting Standards, Statutory Reporting & Compliance
- Financial Planning, Reporting and Resource Management
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
We're pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more in the DE&S Little Book of Big Benefits, the SDA benefits guide, and our pension schemes
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.