Financial Markets Compliance Advisory Officer - Vice President
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 196,000 employees, including around 149,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets, International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors.
BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking is a globally recognised leader offering capital markets, securities services, financing, treasury and advisory solutions.
Business Area/Dept Overview
Financial Markets Compliance Advisory provide clear advice and challenge to Global Markets and ALM Treasury while reinforcing a strong Compliance Permanent Control and Risk culture. Markets Advisory provide compliance input in relation to Global Markets and ALMT businesses and ensure implementation and management of relevant regulations and global policies.
Purpose & Scope of role
The role may focus on specific business areas initially but all Markets Advisory Compliance officers are expected to gain experience of the full range of Global Markets businesses and roles over time and the assignment to specific teams may change over time. The scope is primarily EMEA but it is expected to liaise with colleagues globally.
The role encompasses four main themes:
- Advisory – advising the business on Compliance topics for day to day queries, participating in relevant approval and governance committees regarding transactions, businesses or regulatory topics
- Training & Awareness – Designing and delivering training on relevant rules and regulations applicable to the Global Markets businesses and undertaking regular induction and refresher training
- Regulatory – Being knowledgeable about regulations that impact the business and implementing measures to ensure adherence. Providing input into policies and procedures. Interfacing with regulators.
- Risk & Controls – reviewing and challenging the business on the adequacy of risk controls, providing markets expertise in the Risk Assessment, independent testing, control plan and IG review processes.
Key Responsibilities of role
- Act as a point of contact for the Global Markets or ALMT Business, providing advice and guidance on proper controls and procedures and the impact of regulations on their business
- Participate in and contribute to relevant committees on governance, conduct and control issues (TACs/NAC, ICSCs, Conduct Committees, CORe, etc.)
- Provide Compliance input on ad-hoc Business or Regulatory topics.
- Participating in or drive various projects and initiatives relevant to the business lines they cover or transversally.
- Coordinate or assist in driving Compliance topics and provide Compliance colleagues and 3LOD with Business context (Risk Assessment, Control Plan, IG reviews)
- Provide Compliance training to the Business on specific topics and help design training on rules, regulations or best practices, in coordination with 1LOD and other Compliance teams
- Provide input into drafting of and maintenance of Compliance Policies and Procedures to guide the Business and meet regulatory requirements
- Challenge the Business and Functions on the adequacy and effectiveness of their risk controls and supervisory framework
- Develop good working relationships with the business members, ensuring they understand the rules, regulations, policies and procedures so they are able to manage their risks
- Endeavour to understand the Business strategy and identify potential risks proactively and positively to protect the bank
- Provide management information and reports within the timeframe requested in order to support the Head of Markets Compliance in her management reporting requirements
Experience, Qualifications & Competencies
- Solid business experience across several asset classes and/or solid markets compliance
- Demonstrates some leadership qualities and potential and ability to think strategically about organisation and business and able to develop and drive strategic projects
- Some People Management Experience or Potential Management Potential, started to develop knowledge of management best practices, or, demonstrates organisational skills and able to manage workload and projects with input from manager.
- Established relationships with business representatives and desk heads in the coverage area, maintains constructive dialogue and challenge, often with support. Seen as a solution provider.
- Can work independently with clear direction and with escalation to management on critical issues
- Covers a business area or subset of a GBL