Business Tax Manager - Restructuring and Transaction Taxes
- Menzies LLP
- Leatherhead, London, UK
- Competitive salary plus great benefits
- 03 Feb 2023
- 03 Mar 2023
- Approved employers
- Approved employer
- Job role
- Accountant, Financial planning & analysis, Tax
- Accounting - Public practice
- Contract type
- Full time
- Experience level
We are looking for a Business Tax Manager to join our new Restructuring and Transactional Tax team in Leatherhead or London office on a permanent or part time contract.
This role is part of Peter's team, you may find out more about him here.
Why join Menzies?
- We are a UK based recognised employer of choice with office locations in London, Surrey, Hampshire and South Wales (Cardiff).
- Join our family of 500 employees. Be a member and not just a number!
- We offer a dynamic and rewarding environment with exposure to a diverse range of clients and industry sectors
- Our package and benefits are very competitive
- Work life balance is part of our organisational culture,
- We believe in developing our staff throughout their career
Key Benefits we offer, but not limited to:
- Competitive base salary (we do yearly market research to ensure we offer a competitive salary to our employees and joining candidates)
- 33 days annual leave entitlement a year inc. bank holidays (31.5 days for trainees)
- Annual buy and sell leave scheme
- Private Medical Cover available to all employees (trainees can opt in for a salary sacrifice)
- Private Pension Matching Scheme: if employee contributes 2.5-5%, we match it and add another 3% on top!
- Employee Referral Bonus up to £10,000 for a successful placement
- Reimbursement of one professional subscription each year
- Dress for your day policy – you decide, not us!
- Life Assurance 4x your salary
- Group Income Protection – 75% of salary if long term sickness exceeds 6 months
- Agile Working is embedded in our culture: we understand that everyone works in different ways and need flexibility within their working day
- Learning and Development opportunities and Study Support throughout your Menzies career
- Career Coaching programme for Managers and above
- Better Place to Work Initiative: proactive benchmarking of the best DEI and wellbeing programmes to offer our employees and improve our employee experience
- CSR Programme: each office will be involved in various charity and sporting activities to help raise funds and give back to the local community.
- Employee Assistance Programme - our EAP is available for all Menzies employees and their families. As well as being a support line for mental health counselling, it also offers practical financial, legal and life management advice 24 /7 and is completely confidential.
- Paid sick leave – a generous scheme to help you when you are struggling with health issues
- Free flu jab, eyesight test and physical health checks
- Cycle to work scheme
- Enhanced Parental + Family Leave: We are a place where you can combine both a career and a family so those going on Maternity Leave can expect 100% pay for 3 months and 50% pay for the next 6 weeks, those going on Paternity Leave can expect 100% pay for 2 weeks (both subject to eligibility). We also have Adoption and Shared Parental Leave
- Volunteering Scheme with a maximum of 2.5 days given by the Firm to match 2.5 days devoted to qualifying schemes by the employee in any 12-month period.
- Season Ticket Loan
The purpose of this role is to support in the delivery of tax advice to a portfolio of owner managed and large corporate clients, with particular focus advising on the tax implications of corporate reconstructions and buying and selling businesses.
This is a newly created role and a great opportunity to join a growing Business Tax advisory and dedicated restructuring tax team and add significant value to our clients through the delivery of technically robust and commercially relevant tax advice in respect of a variety of complex and exciting transactions.
- Managing the delivery of tax advisory projects, including corresponding with clients, attending client meetings, and overseeing projects from the planning stage through to implementation
- Overseeing, coordinating and reviewing the preparation of tax structuring and other technical tax advice, applications for HMRC clearances and other project related administration and reporting in relation to a range of complex group reorganisations, demergers and other corporate transactions, for review and sign off by partners and directors
- Overseeing, coordinating and reviewing tax due diligence reports for sign off by partners and directors, managing communications with clients and relevant third parties and advising on the practical aspects of tax risk mitigation (e.g. warranty and indemnity protection)
- Undertaking, reviewing and delivering research and potential solutions on complex technical issues for review by more senior team
- Constructively contributing to the development of others within the wider tax team, including delegating and supporting junior colleagues in the preparation of advice and providing effective feedback
- Actively contributing to the firm and service line’s business development objectives including, as appropriate, participating in networking and online marketing efforts,
- Overseeing client engagement, proposals and onboarding
- Identifying opportunities for planning, risk mitigation and cross-referrals between service lines and specialisms to ensure clients receive a proactive and effective service
- Providing support to partners and relationship managers on other client matters or opportunities, as required
- Tax specific qualification (ACA / ACCA / CTA or equivalent)
- Prior experience advising on the tax implications and coordinating applications for HMRC clearance(s) in respect of corporate transactions - including group reorganisations, buying and selling companies/ businesses etc
- Report writing will be a key aspect of the role and some prior practical experience of report writing would be preferred
- Some experience overseeing and reviewing tax advisory projects would be preferred, but we will consider candidates who are transitioning into a managerial role
- An understanding of the relevant practical and business tax considerations and concepts applicable to corporate reconstructions is essential, including a working knowledge of the relevant aspects of corporation tax, shareholder and capital gains taxes.
- An awareness of the relevant aspects of indirect taxes (stamp duty, stamp duty land tax and VAT) would also be preferred, but we will consider exceptional candidates with an interest in developing their knowledge of these taxes, and further on-the-job training can be provided as necessary.
- The majority of projects will be UK focused, but a number of projects will have international elements and we would be interested to discuss any international experience or interests that candidates have.
- Due to the nature of relevant projects, some general accountancy knowledge or background will be necessary.
- The team is split primarily across the firm’s Leatherhead, London and Egham offices and some regular travel between those offices will be necessary