Senior Trainee Actuary
- Phoenix Group
- Edinburgh / West Midlands, Birmingham
- 03 Feb 2023
- 17 Feb 2023
- The Phoenix Group
- Approved employers
- Approved employer
- Job role
- Compliance/risk, Financial analyst
- Contract type
- Full time
- Experience level
- Part qualified
We're currently recruiting for a Senior Trainee Actuary to join our Actuarial Development team to develop the skills, competencies and behaviours of a fully effective qualified actuary within the business through a structured programme involving placement training and professional education, working competently and effectively within each placement.
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: Dependent on experience and exam progress
Location: West Midlands or Edinburgh
We have an incredible opportunity to join us here at Phoenix Group as a Senior Trainee Actuary to join our Actuarial Development team.
Who are we?
We want to be the best place that any of our colleagues have ever worked.
We are the UK's largest long-term savings and retirement business with c.13 million customers and c.£310 billion of assets under administration. As a market leader and FTSE 100 organisation, we understand that our scale and expertise means that we have a key role to play for our customers, colleagues and our communities to help as many people as possible secure a life of possibilities. We are tackling key environmental and social issues such as transitioning our portfolio to net zero by 2050 - but we're not done yet.
We've seen huge growth and change, and this means there is enormous opportunity for our 8,000 colleagues to grow alongside us.
You can expect to work in a hybrid manner with time spent working in the Wythall (Birmingham) office and at home. We believe that work/life balance offers benefits for customers as well as ensuring that you can balance a successful career with your life outside of work. We will discuss flexibility, what is important to you and balancing this with business requirements during the recruitment process.
We want to hire the whole version of you.
We are committed to ensuring that everyone feels accepted and safe at work, and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Everyone is valued at Phoenix regardless of age, gender identity, neurodiversity, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, socioeconomic background or anything else. Whether it's joining one of our internal employee networks, being an ally, taking positive action or simply being there to listen, everyone at Phoenix is valued and respected.
If you need any help or adjustments to the recruitment process due to health, disability or anything else, please let us know so we can help you to be the best version of yourself.
We're recruiting for a Senior Trainee Actuary to join our Actuarial Development team to develop the skills, competencies and behaviours of a fully effective qualified actuary within the business through a structured programme involving placement training and professional education. The successful candidate will support the team in delivering change into the Reporting environment across a range of projects, but in particular will include Equity Release Mortgages change activity as part of the first placement.
The role will involve close collaboration with a wide range of teams and colleagues across the organisation.
Key responsibilities includes:
- Supporting qualified actuaries and other senior managers in their objective of delivering change into the BAU reporting environment
- Responsibility for a number of regular deliverables and MI
- Through academic study and work experience developing a range of actuarial skills and knowledge to enable successful completion of examinations within an agreed timeframe
- Accurately producing a wide range of calculations and developing a deep understanding of current technical aspects of the role
- Contributing to both a range of small scale projects or elements of large projects, which may include analysis, report writing, developing calculations, testing models along with improving the efficiency of tools and processes.
What are we looking for?
- A part qualified actuary who is making good progress with the actuarial exams and has experience of working within the UK Life insurance sector.
- Experience of working on change activity or projects
- Excellent Excel skills with some experience of VBA is desirable
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to work to deadlines and deliver results along with planning and managing own workload
- Analytical skills, problem solving, and a can do attitude
- Experience in the use of Matlab software is desirable but not essential
Why choose us?
Bring your 'whole self', skills and dedication to the Phoenix Group and we'll recognise your effort, support your development and help to drive your ambition. We'll ensure you're rewarded for your contribution with a competitive package that includes an attractive pension, annual bonus potential, private medical insurance, generous holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity and adoption leave and a range of other financial services and lifestyle flexible benefits.
Sound good? If you are ready to help us make Phoenix the best place you've ever worked, we'd love to hear from you.