Accounting and Business Advisory Manager
- Reading, Berkshire/ London, Greater London, UK
- Competitive salary + benefits
- 31 Jan 2023
- 28 Feb 2023
- Approved employers
- Approved employer
- Job role
- Accountant, Financial planning & analysis, Tax
- Accounting - Public practice
- Contract type
- Full time
- Experience level
Overall job purpose
This exciting role is to join a large Accounting and Business Advisory (ABA) team in the South East, based in our Reading office. The ABA team is split into two sub-teams - Accounting, Insight and Advisory (AIA) and Accounting and Financial Reporting (AFR).
We act for clients across a wide range of sectors including retail, media and technology, real estate and construction and energy and natural resources. With a personal, director led approach we work as trusted advisers to a wealth of clients from small owner-managed businesses to large corporate clients and partnerships.
You will be required to assist the Department Head in the day to day management of the department as well as managing your own portfolio of clients, ensuring the highest possible standards of client service at all times. You will take an active role in the growth of the department through identification of opportunities and involvement in the business development process, as well as building sustainable external client relationships.
- Managing a portfolio of clients with varying assignments, which includes;
- determining resource requirements and ensuring that the team has the relevant experience and skills required;
- liaising with clients to establish workable timeframes, meeting deadlines for accounts and tax as well as those imposed by the client;
- being the key point of contact for clients, liaising with them frequently and understanding their business requirements;
- monitoring the team’s progress against budgets;
- ensuring appropriate liaison takes place with all other departments, and that all potential client needs are identified and serviced accordingly;
- reviewing work completed by junior members of the team, providing relevant feedback and being proactive in identifying training needs;
- thoroughly researching and resolving issues prior to Partner review; and
- Maintaining an advanced level of technical knowledge through appropriate reading and courses and fulfilling any development or training requirements.
- Liaising with clients throughout the year and practicing the principles of excellent client service at all times.
- Closely monitoring the practice management system reports, to ensure the profitable recoverability of work in progress, and to bill clients on a timely basis.
- To develop a detailed knowledge of the firm’s specialist services, actively look for opportunities to cross sell, and to undertake special work in response to client needs where appropriate.
- Participating in the recruitment process for specialist hires or graduate recruits, leading first round interviews and making recommendations to ABA Directors and Partners.
- As a line manager, manage the ABA team’s appraisal process ensuring appropriate objectives and development plans are in place for junior members of the team. You will also be required to support the overall technical training and development needs of the staff within the ABA department.
- To perform the firm’s review and completion procedures, to attend the final meeting with the client and to ensure that the client subsequently receives the final accounts, management letter and adjustment to opening balances on a timely basis.
- To be involved in any other administrative departmental and office issues as deemed appropriate.
- Carry out ad hoc assignments.
Key Performance Measures
- Delivery of high quality service to clients
- Deadlines are met
- Budgets achieved
- Adherence to the firm’s procedures
- To keep confidential any information obtained concerning the business affairs of the Firm, its staff and clients
- Portray the Firm in a professional manner through appearance, conduct and attitude
Personal and professional qualities
The role requires:
- ACA/ACCA fully qualified.
- Previous experience of managing a portfolio of clients.
- Strong technical skills.
- Experience of using accounting software.
- A good understanding of UK financial reporting requirements.
- Well-developed people skills to relate to clients and colleagues.
- Good organisational and time management skills.
- Strong accounts production skills.