Business Tax Manager (Restructuring and Transaction Taxes)
- Menzies LLP
- Leatherhead, London, UK
- Competitive salary plus great benefits
- 31 Jan 2023
- 03 Feb 2023
- Approved employers
- Approved employer
- Job role
- Accountant, Business analyst, Tax
- Accounting - Public practice
- Contract type
- Full time
- Experience level
We are looking for a Business Tax Manager to join our new Restructuring and Transactional Tax team in Leatherhead or London office on a permanent or part time contract.
This role is part of Peter's team, you may find out more about him here.
The purpose of this role is to support in the delivery of tax advice to a portfolio of owner managed and large corporate clients, with particular focus advising on the tax implications of corporate reconstructions and buying and selling businesses.
This is a newly created role and a great opportunity to join a growing Business Tax advisory and dedicated restructuring tax team and add significant value to our clients through the delivery of technically robust and commercially relevant tax advice in respect of a variety of complex and exciting transactions.
- Managing the delivery of tax advisory projects, including corresponding with clients, attending client meetings, and overseeing projects from the planning stage through to implementation
- Overseeing, coordinating and reviewing the preparation of tax structuring and other technical tax advice, applications for HMRC clearances and other project related administration and reporting in relation to a range of complex group reorganisations, demergers and other corporate transactions, for review and sign off by partners and directors
- Overseeing, coordinating and reviewing tax due diligence reports for sign off by partners and directors, managing communications with clients and relevant third parties and advising on the practical aspects of tax risk mitigation (e.g. warranty and indemnity protection)
- Undertaking, reviewing and delivering research and potential solutions on complex technical issues for review by more senior team
- Constructively contributing to the development of others within the wider tax team, including delegating and supporting junior colleagues in the preparation of advice and providing effective feedback
- Actively contributing to the firm and service line’s business development objectives including, as appropriate, participating in networking and online marketing efforts,
- Overseeing client engagement, proposals and onboarding
- Identifying opportunities for planning, risk mitigation and cross-referrals between service lines and specialisms to ensure clients receive a proactive and effective service
- Providing support to partners and relationship managers on other client matters or opportunities, as required
- Applicants are expected to have a tax specific qualification (ACA / ACCA / CTA or equivalent) and at least three years relevant work experience
- Prior experience advising on the tax implications and coordinating applications for HMRC clearance(s) in respect of corporate transactions - including group reorganisations, buying and selling companies/ businesses etc
- Report writing will be a key aspect of the role and some prior practical experience of report writing would be preferred
- Some experience overseeing and reviewing tax advisory projects would be preferred, but we will consider candidates who are transitioning into a managerial role
- An understanding of the relevant practical and business tax considerations and concepts applicable to corporate reconstructions is essential, including a working knowledge of the relevant aspects of corporation tax, shareholder and capital gains taxes.
- An awareness of the relevant aspects of indirect taxes (stamp duty, stamp duty land tax and VAT) would also be preferred, but we will consider exceptional candidates with an interest in developing their knowledge of these taxes, and further on-the-job training can be provided as necessary.
- The majority of projects will be UK focused, but a number of projects will have international elements and we would be interested to discuss any international experience or interests that candidates have.
- Due to the nature of relevant projects, some general accountancy knowledge or background will be necessary.
- It will be essential that the successful candidate is able to deliver sound technical results and also show an aptitude for further learning.
- Travel to client meetings will be necessary on occasion
- The team is split primarily across the firm’s Leatherhead, London and Egham offices and some regular travel between those offices will be necessary
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.