- Northern Trust
- Chicago, Illinois, United States
- 30 Jan 2023
- 28 Feb 2023
- Contract type
- Full time
- Experience level
- Qualified accountant
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust, a Fortune 500 company, is a globally recognized, award-winning financial institution that has been in continuous operation since 1889.
Northern Trust is proud to provide innovative financial services and guidance to the world’s most successful individuals, families, and institutions by remaining true to our enduring principles of service, expertise, and integrity. With more than 130 years of financial experience and over 22,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
We are searching for a Senior Accountant to join us!
This position is within the Functional Control team in the U.S. Controllers department, a team that provides the interface between the Business and Finance from a financial accounting, control and reporting perspective. The Senior Accountant has the responsibility for Finance systems governance and making sure that the Finance systems are appropriately controlled along with performing various month-end tasks in support of accurate financial reporting. The successful individual will play a significant role in the team, provide thought leadership, and will be required to have strong interaction and working relationships with IT and Finance teams. The role will report to the U.S. Functional Control Manager.
The key responsibilities of this role include:
- Function as business owner of various systems in the Controllers department, including general ledger, fixed assets system, and consolidation system.
- Serve as Controllers contact for general ledger source systems owned by business and operations areas, supporting any business initiatives that require general ledger input as needed.
- Control security access to the various systems by decisioning security access requests from new and existing users. Also, review and attest to high-risk user access periodically
- Work closely with IT group in Finance to progress the various initiatives on the system dockets. Assist and report on the same initiatives.
- Perform and review various financial analyses for the month-end financial close. Work with IT on post-close procedures..
- Work closely with the Close and Consolidation team through the monthly close process and support as necessary.
- Lead projects associated with the general ledger and general ledger reconciliations.
- 5+ years of experience, preferably in financial services or banking
- Qualified accountant (preferable CPA) with experience in a multi-currency financial services environment
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP accounting requirements
- Experienced background in a corporate financial control environment with a sound knowledge of accounting, reporting and financial control requirements as well as statutory and audit requirements
- Strong ability to build consensus and influence behavior of those outside of direct reporting line
- Ability to understand how the detailed activities in areas of focus fit into the larger financial accounting and reporting picture for individual legal entities and Corporation as a whole
Work with us:
We work hard to create an inclusive environment where every individual feels respected and empowered to play a critical role in our success. But we also believe balance isn’t just important – it’s essential. That’s why we offer a robust set of benefits that allow for both a compelling career and a fulfilling life:
A greater path is here. Where will it take you?
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email our HR Service Center at MyHRHelp@ntrs.com.
- We hope you’re excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us.
- We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.