CIB F&BM – EMEA Currencies and Emerging Markets (CEM) - Business Manager - VP
- J.P. Morgan
- London, UK
- Highly competitive compensation package
- 26 Jan 2023
- 31 Jan 2023
- Approved employers
- Approved employer
- Job role
- Business analyst, Compliance/risk, Credit control, Financial accountant, Tax
- Contract type
- Full time
- Experience level
J.P. Morgan’s Corporate & Investment Bank (CIB) is a global leader across banking, markets and investor services. The world’s most important corporations, governments and institutions entrust us with their business in more than 100 countries.
The Currencies & Emerging Markets (CEM) business is a multi-asset, fast moving growth business with annual revenue of over $5bn and a significant positive SVA contribution. CEM is a major liquidity provider in Global Foreign Exchange markets and Emerging Market Fixed Income, offering pricing across approximately 300 currency pairs in cash and derivative products across 25 locations. Our currency offering extends from plain vanilla foreign exchange to exotic options. In the emerging markets, products include local currency and developed currency denominated products across emerging markets rates, foreign exchange, exotics and hybrids.
We are seeking a Business Manager (BM) to support the EMEA CEM E&H, Eurobonds, and Frontier Markets businesses. This is a full-time London based role in the Finance & Business Management organization. Reporting to the EMEA CEM Business Manager, the successful candidate will act as a trusted advisor and counterweight to the E&H and Frontier Markets business heads and will be responsible for identifying, escalating and mitigating business risks that could impair our ability to do business along with optimizing ‘bottom line’ business performance by driving key initiatives across both revenue and expense lines. As a Business Manager, the individual will represent the business with a range of support groups including Middle Office, Technology, Finance, Risk, P&A, HR, Legal, Compliance, Business Continuity and control & oversight. The candidate must be a self-starter, be self-motivated and able to communicate effectively with all levels of third party stakeholders. A broad understanding of fixed Income instruments and structured products, awareness of Technology and Infrastructure is an advantage as well as understanding of G10 and Emerging Market business challenges.
Specific responsibilities of this role include:
Drive Business Strategy and Growth
- Establish and communicate business strategy and priorities (in conjunction with Desk Heads)
- Align front office teams and support groups (Finance, Tech, Risk, Ops, Market Risk, Legal, Tax, Compliance, HR etc) to business priorities
- Own and ensure delivery of strategic business initiatives and develop business cases for the commitment of resources
- Establish business governance in conjunction with Desk Heads – i.e. regular business reviews, management meetings
- Ensure business strategy considers market structure and regulatory changes
- Develop regional, cross-business and industrial partnerships
Manage Business Risks
- Identify, escalate and mitigate business risks that could impair our ability to do business:
- Specific threats (e.g. legal, tax, regulatory, capacity issues, extraordinary transaction costs)
- Compounded problems (e.g. under-investment in product workflow across several support areas)
- Systemic risks (e.g. market failure, fraud, new competitive forces)
- Risks within new product build out (own NBIA, Product /Service Change Management process)
- Key person dependencies across the end-to-end business
- Oversee that an effective control environment exists (including functions covering market, credit, operational and reputational risk)
Optimize Business Performance and Planning
- Optimize 'bottom line' business performance by driving key initiatives (brokerage, fees, cost base, RWA and capital utilization)
- Lead annual business budget process (in conjunction with Planning and Analysis)
- Ensure optimal resource budgeting and allocation to achieve business priorities (including directs, finance, technology, operations and other indirect expenses)
- Oversee investment/productivity initiatives across the end-to-end business to achieve multi-year targets
- Oversight for real estate needs and space planning
- Lead client analysis and account planning, review and agree Client value grids with Sales and Trading
- Oversee deal management pipeline and forecasting
The role of a business manager is dynamic. To be effective in this sometimes fluid role, the following core competencies are critical for success:
Ability to Influence Senior Leaders:
- Establishes rapport and trust with Business Heads and other leaders
- Fortitude to act as a counterweight to senior leaders
- Understand regulatory environment and help keep the business compliant to internal and external policies
Persistent Commercial Acumen:
- Understands and grows the strategic business vision
- Judgment to assess and manage business risks
- Prioritizes according to business objectives
- Natural tendency to improve the 'bottom line'
Strong Delivery Focus:
- Action-orientated problem-solver
- Willingness to take responsibility
- Leverages virtual teams and nurtures a large network
- Ability to analyze and summarize findings from large and complex data
- Attention to detail
- Demonstrates track record of excellent people management skills – hiring, developing and retaining top talent
- Self-starter who's pro-active in improving the business and motivating staff
- Thrives on challenges in an unstructured working environment
- Talks in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner
- Creates logical and conclusive presentations
- Forms executive summaries and briefs concisely
- Actively listens and assimilates broad ranging information
- Prior roles in business management, finance, operations or project management within a capital markets business a notable advantage
J.P. Morgan is a global leader in financial services, providing strategic advice and products to the world’s most prominent corporations, governments, wealthy individuals and institutional investors. Our first-class business in a first-class way approach to serving clients drives everything we do. We strive to build trusted, long-term partnerships to help our clients achieve their business objectives.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
About the Team
The Corporate & Investment Bank is a global leader across investment banking, wholesale payments, markets and securities services. The world’s most important corporations, governments and institutions entrust us with their business in more than 100 countries. We provide strategic advice, raise capital, manage risk and extend liquidity in markets around the world.
Global Finance & Business Management works to strategically manage capital, drive growth and efficiencies, maintain financial reporting and proactively manage risk. By providing information, analysis and recommendations to improve results and drive decisions, teams ensure the company can navigate all types of market conditions while protecting our fortress balance sheet.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.